Best 14 Ajwain(Carom Seeds) Benefits For Skin, Hair, And Health
Ajwain or carom seeds are considered to be a vital herb of Indian kitchens and I’m sure you are going to add an extra bottle of this ingredient in your kitchen shelf after knowing how ajwain (carom seeds) benefits for different aspects of your health.
Do you want to know the best possible tip you could follow with ajwain? If you have ever gobbled up food in excess amounts, do not worry! This simple tip can save you from being a victim of indigestion and upset stomach! You just have to take a handful of ajwain, add a pinch of salt to this and chew this mixture. You can thus save yourself from the onset of stomach disorders.
All parts of this herb have a strong fragrance. The various parts of the plant such as seeds, oil, flowers, and the extract are used in the treatment of many diseases. Ajwain benefits are many, which is why it definitely deserves to occupy the space in your kitchen rack.
What Exactly are Carrom Seeds?
Carom seeds have a hot and pungent taste. The seeds are oval-shaped with a ridge in the centre. The tiny seeds can be yellowish brown in colour or with a slight green tinge. The fragrance of the seeds is robust and roasted seeds smell very earthy.
There are many distinct recipes prepared out of ajwain seeds but it is most commonly used in the dishes that are prepared with chickpea flour since such foods are hard to digest. Adding a pinch of ajwain to such recipes can prevent indigestion and stomach disorders.
Nutritional Value Of Ajwain:
Ajwain is an essential ingredient of the Indian kitchen. The aromatic herb has high medicinal value. The various nutrients contained in it are responsible for the many ajwain health benefits. The different nutrients found in about 100gms of ajwain are:
- Fats (25gms)
- Saturated fats (4 gms)
- Polyunsaturated fats (15 gms)
- Mon saturated fats (5 gms)
- Proteins (16 gms)
- Fibres (39 gms)
- Sugar traces
- Calories (305)
- Sodium (10 gms)
- Carbohydrates (43 gms)
Apart from the vital nutrients, ajwain also contains calcium, thiamine, phosphorous, iron, riboflavin, niacin, and antioxidants.
Health Benefits Of Ajwain(Carom Seeds):
You never know which of these below-mentioned disorders can show up out of the blue to ruin your health. Taking a simple preventive measure just by adding a pinch of ajwain in your regular culinary can prevent the onset of the following health disorders. Put yourself in a safe zone by making the most out of benefits of ajwain.
1. Remedy For Stomachache:
Carom seeds benefits for the stomach are many. The many health benefits are because it has mild alcoholic qualities, which is the reason why it is used for treating stomach pains. People who suffer from indigestion and other digestive problems find effective relief by using ajwain. Ajwain can be utilized either directly along with food or can be sipped with warm water and a pinch of salt.
2. Ajwain For Cold And Cough:
Many people consume ajwain tea as an excellent home remedy for treating cold and flu. For recurrent and chronic cold, many people recommend taking the roasted carom seeds for about a month. Most people find the inhalation of roasted ajwain to be beneficial in cases of migraine headaches, cold, and cough.
3. Ajwain For Asthma:
Ajwain finds use in expelling the mucus from the body and giving relief from cold and cough. Inhalation of the smoke from roasted ajwain acts as an excellent Bronchodilator, which facilitates the breathing pattern in the body. Carom seeds are very useful for people suffering from Asthma, and Bronchitis.
- Few ajwain seeds
- 1 teaspoon of jaggery
Things To Do…
Roast the ajwain seeds and remove from the stove. Add jaggery and make a paste. Consume the mixture twice in a day for effective treatment.
4. For Diabetes Mellitus:
Ajwain finds use in maintaining the levels of sugars in the body.
- 1 teaspoon of ajwain seeds
- 4 teaspoons of Bael leaves juice
Things To Do…
Mix ajwain seeds with the juice of Bael leaves. Consumption of the mixture 2-3 times in a day will help in curing Poluria condition. One of the best carom seeds benefits is the regulation of Diabetes in the human body.
5. Alcohol Addiction:
Ajwain is very famous for helping people get rid of alcohol addiction. Alternatively, individuals who consume excess alcohol tend to suffer from stomach pains, which can be relieved to a considerable extent by using carom seeds. A decoction of ajwain taken at bedtime for about 50days is known to be effective in getting rid of alcohol addiction.
6. Ajwain In Cholera:
Ajwain has the inherent capability to kill the worms that grow pathogenically in the intestines of human beings. Patients suffering from Cholera can benefit significantly by intake of ajwain. One of the most remarkable benefits of ajwain is the reduction in the number of worms in the intestine of children. Children between the age group of 2 years to 12 years, commonly suffer from worms in their stomach and intestine. The problem can be tackled well by regular intake of carom seeds.
7. For Dissolving Kidney Stones:
Ajwain is extremely beneficial for curing kidney stones. People who consume ajwain will find a reduction in the kidney pain and discomfort.
- Few ajwain seeds
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- 2 teaspoons of vinegar
Things To Do…
Mix ajwain with honey and vinegar. Use the mixture for 10days to help in dissolving the kidney stones which will be excreted along with urine.
8. Regulate Obesity:
Ajwain has the inherent capability to fasten the bowel movements. Although ajwain acts as an appetite stimulant, it has laxative components which facilitate digestion. Regular consumption of carom seeds helps in healthy weight loss.
9. Reduction Of Flatulence:
Carom seeds are the best herbal drug for flatulence and indigestion(1). One of the best benefits of ajwain is the regulation of digestion and reduction in gas production in the body. Flatulence can be a very embarrassing problem for people yet very common. So get rid of flatulence today by using ajwain!
10. Removes Acidity:
Carom seeds find widespread usage in relieving acidity.
- Few ajwain seeds
- 1 glass warm water
- A pinch of salt
Things To Do…
Mix the carom seeds in warm water and add a pinch of salt. Drink the mixture empty stomach or after breakfast. Regular consumption of the mixture for 15days will help in controlling acidity significantly.
- 1 tablespoon carom seeds
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
Things To Do…
Mix carom seeds and cumin seeds along with the ginger powder. Consume the dry mixture every day to utilize the best ajwain benefits and get rid of acidity, indigestion, and acid reflux.
11. Relieving Constipation:
Carom seeds have natural laxative properties which facilitate the passage of stools in the intestines. People who consume ajwain regularly will help in keeping the bowel movements clear and smooth.
12. Cleanses Wounds:
Ajwain acts as an excellent fungicide and germicide because of the component “Thymol” in it. Skin infections and cuts can be treated well by using powdered or crushed ajwain over it.
Ajwain For Hair:
- Ajwain can prevent greying of hair with its nutritional capabilities. Hair becomes even and stronger with the application of carom seed oil in the process of blackening the hair.
- Dandruff Cure is an obvious solution for any herbal remedy which is used for hair’s health. This is because scalp strengthening is the primary treatment that should be carried out by a hair product, which inevitably decreases dandruff.
- Frequent consumption of Ajwain can cure hair fall problem with completely healthy consequences. There’s no way you are going to feel discomfort while getting treated for hair problems by carom seed oil.
- Eating carom seeds is enough for any of the benefits of ajwain for hair, and skin. Or you can make a beverage with ajwain, grapes, cinnamon, and other herbs of your choice added to warm water. Drinking this tea will do an excellent job for your hair protection.
Ajwain for Skin Protection
Carom seeds have natural anti-inflammatory and curative properties. Regular intake of the seeds helps in the eradication of toxins from the body. It is a well-understood fact that by regular flushing out of the toxins from the body, the skin health will improve. There are many health benefits of ajwain, but getting an acne-free skin is the best benefit of using it indeed!
Treating acne is a difficult task and lightening the blemishes on the skin is furthermore complex. You can make a face mask with powdered ajwain and yoghurt to lighten the skin blemishes and age spots very effectively.
Ajwain For Culinary Recipes:
Ajwain is a multipurpose herb, which forms an important ingredient in culinary recipes. There are many ajwain benefits. Ajwain is added in most recipes because of its unique flavour and aroma. Ajwain is added during the last part of the cooking process, as tadka. The roasted seeds will give the recipe a unique taste and aroma.
The carom seeds are added in cuisines such as:
Ajwain health(2) benefits are many. Ajwain is widely used in making a strong tea for cold treatment. It is a great beverage during all the seasons, mainly used by people during winters and rainy season. Carom seeds are rich in nutrients, micronutrients, and macronutrients. It has many uses as an antiseptic, antipyretic, and an expectorant.
- 1 ½ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of black or green tea
- Some ajwain
- ½ piece of ginger
- 2 cardamom pieces
- Milk (optional)
- Honey or sugar as per taste
Things To Do…
Take water in a teapot and add black or green tea. Allow the water to boil, now add ajwain, ginger, and elaichi. Milk can be added at this point and let the mixture boil well for about 3minutes. A sweetener can be added as per the preference. The ajwain chai must be served hot as a healthy drink.
Why Should You Incorporate Carom Seeds In Your Daily Routine?
There are many health benefits of Ajwain which make it a favourite ingredient of the household. Carom seeds have great medicinal importance and constitute to be a vital part of Ayurveda and Unani recipes. You can just have a glance at this brief explanation of the benefits of ajwain (carom seeds).
- Ajwain seeds help in increasing the gastrointestinal secretions in the body.
- Facilitates digestive functioning and metabolism.
- Effective in relieving stomach aches.
- Decreases flatulence and constipation.
- Has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Acts as a great antiseptic.
- Alleviates respiratory problems such as common cold and flu, cough, bronchitis, asthma, nasal congestion, etc.
- Reduces headaches caused by cold and migraine.
- Reduces the cravings for alcohol and other addictive beverages.
- Provides relief from pain for people suffering from Arthritis.
- Helpful in relieving tooth pain and gum problems.
- Helps in dissolving kidney stones.
- Relieves colic pain in infants.
- Reduces muscle cramps and muscle spasms.
- Helps in reducing oedema.
- Helps in reducing acne and pimples.
- Effective for lightening of blemishes and age spots.
- Aids the removal of unwanted whiteheads and blackheads on the nose and face.
- Very beneficial for people suffering from nausea and vomiting.
- Helps in soothing mouth ulcers.
- Beneficial for people suffering from piles.
A Glance at the Medicinal Importance of Ajwain Seeds:
Ajwain is popular for its health and medicinal values. People find ajwain to be very beneficial for the following:
- A toothache
- Cardiac problems
- Nasal blockage
- Killing worms in the stomach of children
- Indigestion and acid reflux
[ Also Read: Acupressure For Toothache Relief ]
Side Effects Of Carom Seeds:
There are many ajwain benefits. However, it has its share of side effects too! When consuming ajwain, it is important to keep few points in mind.
- Carom seeds must be consumed in a proper amount. Overconsumption of the seeds can do more harm than doing good in the body.
- Ajwain is beneficial in alleviating nausea and vomiting. However, excessive use of the seeds can lead to uncontrollable vomiting and dehydration.
- Surplus use of ajwain for treating skin problems can lead to skin irritation, allergies, burning sensation, etc.
- Excessive consumption of ajwain can lead to acidity and heartburn.
- Ajwain must be avoided when there are ulcers in the mouth.
- People who suffer from ulcers in the stomach and ulcerative colitis must never consume carom seeds.
- Carom seeds must never be consumed during pregnancy and lactation.
- People with liver ailments must avoid using carom seeds.
- Individuals with a strong sexual urge can consume ajwain, however excessive consumption of the seeds can lead to heat boils on the body.
So decide the quantity of the carom seeds for safe consumption and utilize its benefits and keep yourself away from the above mentioned diosrders.
Kranthi Kumar Maska is a profound blogger, entrepreneur who predominately writes on Health, Travel, Lifestyle. He is a certified writer in Nutrition, Health care, and Diet. “The best in you comes out when you have nothing in your favour” is what Kranthi believes in. He has a lot of interests, out of which writing is his love, and “Digital Marketing” is his passion.