Blood pressure can be defined as the pressure in the arteries which carry the blood from the heart to the various organs and different parts of the body. High levels of blood pressure can adversely affect the health of an individual. There are various foods to lower blood pressure and help in protecting you from various detrimental health conditions.
The blood pressure levels are measured by a B.P apparatus and denote two numbers. The numbers denote the pressure with which the blood is flowing through the arteries. There are foods to avoid with high blood pressure and various foods which help in lower the levels of blood pressure.
Causes For Hypertension:
High blood pressure can also be termed as Hypertension. Before you can plan a high blood pressure diet, you must understand the various causes of high blood pressure. There are multiple factors which affect the blood pressure levels, enlisted as follows:
- High intake of salt and salty foods.
- Genetics or heredity.
- The stiffness of arteries.
- Lack of elasticity in the arteries.
- Inadequate physical activity.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Improper sleeping habits.
- Intake of unhealthy foods, junk foods, oily food items, etc.
- Certain drugs and medications.
- Excessive cigarette smoking.
Blood Pressure Chart:
Blood pressure is measured as two readings, namely the Systolic pressure and the Diastolic pressure. The normal level of blood pressure is 120/80, which is the systolic and diastolic pressure respectively. The blood pressure chart can be understood as follows:
|Blood Pressure Category||Systolic mm Hg||Diastolic mm Hg|
|Low blood pressure||Less than 80||Less than 70|
|Hypertension Stage 1||150-159||90-99|
|Hypertension Stage 2||Higher than 170||100 and higher|
|High blood pressure Crisis||Higher than 180||110 and higher|
Blood pressure is measured by an apparatus called as the Sphygmomanometer, by a nurse or a doctor. However, you can conveniently rely upon the machines available in the market to measure the blood pressure levels at home. You must follow the blood pressure chart to stay healthy and keep a record of the levels, for future reference.
- Healthy maintenance of blood pressure levels is paramount for the health of an individual.
- There are various foods to lower blood pressure that can be incorporated into the diet plan.
- Every year approximately, 2.5 million people across the world die because of high blood pressure.
- People with high blood pressure are more prone to get a stroke and suffer from various cardiac problems.
- In most cases, people who suffer from elevated blood pressure levels tend to suffer from Diabetes as well.
- There are various supplements to lower the blood pressure, easily available in the market.
- People who suffer from high blood pressure must always ensure to have the medications on time, as prescribed by the Physician.
- Blood pressure is termed as a Silent Killer, owing to the detrimental effects it has on the overall health of the individual.
- The best way to lower blood pressure is to concentrate on the diet and indulge in a healthy workout.
Reduce Blood Pressure-Natural Way:
The various ways to reduce blood pressure can be enlisted as follows:
- Reduce the salt intake.
- Avoid oils foods to lower blood pressure.
- Don’t munch upon unhealthy and junk foods.
- Increase the intake of water and fresh fruit juices.
- Exercise well.
- Take the medications as prescribed by the doctor to keep the levels of the blood pressure in control.
- Incorporate vegetables into the diet for high blood pressure.
- Switching over from the regular foods to organic foods.
- Indulge in Yoga and meditation.
- Avoiding cigarette smoking and second-hand smoke.
Foods To Reduce Blood Pressure:
It is a well-known fact that a diet which is low in Sodium helps in keeping the levels of the blood pressure in the normal range. Foods rich in Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium are the best foods that lower blood pressure.
The various foods to lower blood pressure can be enlisted as follows:
- Low-fat dairy products.
- Olive oil.
- Whole grains and cereal.
- Hibiscus tea.
- Black tea.
Foods That Lower Blood Pressure:
There are various foods to reduce blood pressure, enlisted as follows:
- Studies prove that the regular consumption of low-fat dairy products aids in reducing the risk of hypertension.
- High blood pressure diet involves having yogurt and milk on a regular basis.
- Dairy products are a rich source of peptides, which facilitates the process of digestion.
- The frequent intake of flaxseeds is found to be very effective in reducing the levels of blood pressure.
- Being a rich source of alpha-linolenic acids, peptides, lignans, fiber, etc. flaxseeds are very beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
- Flaxseeds constitute to be the best foods to lower blood pressure.
- Studies have proved that the regular consumption of chocolate and other cocoa products will help in lowering the blood pressure to a considerable extent.
- Dark chocolate is found to be a rich source of polyphenols such as flavanols.
- The flavanols help in widening the blood vessels thereby facilitating the flow of blood.
- Chocolate turns out to be one of the best foods that lower blood pressure.
- Olive oil is one of the healthiest oils amongst all.
- Olive oil is a polyphenol-rich oil and facilitates in lowering the level of the blood pressure.
- The best results will be obtained on the regular consumption for a period of a minimum of four months.
- Thus, olive oil turns out to be the best foods to lower blood pressure.
- Beets are a rich source of nitrates, Vitamin B, iron, manganese, copper, magnesium, etc.
- The regular consumption of beetroot juice along with apple juice is found to be extremely effective in lowering the blood pressure levels.
- Hence, beets are found to be the best food for high blood pressure.
- Beets are an excellent source of iron and help in averting Anemia.
- Nuts such as pistachios are considered to be an excellent food for high blood pressure.
- People who suffer from high Cholesterol levels must consume pistachios on a regular basis.
- The remarkable capability of pistachios in reducing the levels of blood pressure is because they reduce the constriction of the blood vessels.
- Pomegranate is an excellent source of potassium, polyphenols, iron, etc.
- Being a rich source of iron, the frequent consumption of pomegranate or pomegranate juice will help in reducing Anemia.
- Pomegranate is one of the best foods to lower blood pressure.
- Fatty fish is found to be one of the best foods to reduce blood pressure.
- Fish is composed of omega 3 fatty acids, which is very beneficial for hair, skin, and the overall health of an individual.
- Fish is also found to be beneficial in weight management.
- The regular intake of whole grains is found to be effective in lowering the levels of blood pressure.
- Eating about three servings of whole grains in a day is considered to be the best diet for high blood pressure.
- Whole grains help in checking the levels of Cholesterol in the blood and hence keep the blood pressure under control.
- Hibiscus tea is found to be the best foods to lower blood pressure.
- It is a rich source of antioxidants, which helps in keeping a check on the levels of Cholesterol in the blood.
Foods To Avoid With High Blood Pressure:
People with high blood pressure must keep a strict watch on the diet. There are various types of foods to avoid with high blood pressure, which can be enlisted as follows:
- Canned beans.
- Bottled tomato products such as ketchup.
- Frozen foods.
- Soft drinks, energy drinks, soda products, etc.
- Ready to eat soups.
- Processed meats.
- Bottled fruit and vegetable juices.
- Pickles and Chutneys.
- Chicken skin.
- It is paramount to consume healthy foods for maintaining the overall health of an individual.
- There are many foods to reduce blood pressure, but only one item will not be effective.
- You must incorporate a healthy diet into your routine along with regular exercise.
- Weight management plays a major role in keeping many diseases at bay.
- Intelligent eating is the only way to deal with high blood pressure.
- People who suffer from elevated levels of blood pressure need not be deprived of various favorite foods.
- A blend of healthy foods minus oil and calories will be the best way to deal with high blood pressure.
- It is crucial for you to understand that medication along with the supplements to lower blood pressure will work for hand in hand.
- You must never skip your medications while trying the home remedies for lowering the blood pressure levels.
The Best Way To Healthy You-Walk:
Walking can be considered to be one of the best exercises for maintaining a healthy body. The best way to lower blood pressure is through walking. The various benefits of simple workout and walking can be enlisted as follows:
- Reduces the blood pressure levels.
- Lowers the level of Cholesterol.
- Averts cardiac problems.
- Lowers the risk of stroke and paralysis.
- Maintains healthy heart life.
- Strengthens the lungs and improves the respiratory functioning.
- Increases the body metabolism.
- Stimulates the digestive system.
- Improves the waste management and elimination process.
- Stimulates healthy muscle formation.
- Increases the blood supply to all the vital organs.
- Boosts the immune responses.
There are various foods to lower blood pressure, and you can choose the best one which works for you, as per your taste and food preference today!