Strong Nourishment & Mineral Strength –Features Behind the Health Benefits of Olives
Olives are that tiny fruits which grow on the Olive trees. The fruits are popularly known as Drupes and they belong to the same family as Peaches, Almonds, Cherries, Pistachios, etc. They are rich sources of Vitamin E and antioxidants, which is responsible for the innumerable health benefits of olives.
Olives constitute to be one of the most versatile foods. It finds extensive use in various cuisines and dishes. There are two main types of olives, green olives, and black olives. The benefits of both the olives are same, but the black olives have more skin benefits.
All About Olives:
Olives are oval in shape, with a dark greenish-yellow color. You can also find olives which are black in color. They find extensive use in sandwiches, salads, pesto, pizza, pasta, subs, etc. Being high in Vitamin E and strong antioxidants, there are various benefits of olives for health.
Most of the olives that grow all around the world are used in the extraction of Extra Virgin Olive oil. It contains healthy fats and hence, very popular with people. The health benefits of olives include protection against Osteoporosis, improvement of the cardiac health, maintaining the eye health, etc.
Olives Nutrition-Facts And Figures:
The olives nutrition is high in Vitamin E, Sodium, antioxidants, etc. The regular consumption of olives will facilitate in reducing the levels of Cholesterol in the blood, promoting healthy heart life, etc.
The healthy fats in the olive oil are very beneficial for the skin and the face. It promotes healthy bones and prevents Osteoporosis and other bone defects to a considerable extent. The remarkable uses of olives make it very popular oil amongst the other oils.
The following chart will give the nutritional profile of olives:
|Omega 3 fatty acids||0.07 gm|
|Omega 6 fatty acids||0.90 gm|
|Polyunsaturated Oils||0.91 gm|
|Monounsaturated Oils||7.89 gm|
Fat Content Of Olives:
Olives nutrition shows that they contain about 12-15% of fats. More than 75% of the fat content is from Oleic acid and Monounsaturated fatty acids. Being healthy fat sources, it won’t add to the calories or weight gain.
The benefits of olives for skin are mainly due to the healthy fat content of the miracle fruit. It hydrates the skin and provides the skin cells with all the vital nutrients responsible to give it a healthy glow and sheen.
Fiber And Carbs:
Olives are extremely low in the content of carbs while being rich in fiber. One of the best health benefits of olives is promoting healthy digestion, as it is rich in fiber. Through the intake of olives, you can prevent constipation, as it will add bulk to the stools. Easy passage of the stools through the gut and the intestine will prevent constipation and other anal problems.
Vitamins And Minerals:
Olives constitute to be the fruit which is one of the richest sources of Vitamins and Minerals. The rich phenolic compounds and antioxidants found in olives will prevent various health ailments. Being high in the Vitamin E content, one of the best uses of olives is for the skin, face, and the hair.
- Iron: Black olives are one of the richest sources of Iron. Through the regular intake of olives, you can help in providing the required content of oxygen into the various cells in the body.
- Copper: It is a very important part of any diet as it promotes healthy heart life.
- Calcium: Olives provide the body great amounts of calcium which is needed for maintaining healthy bones and joints.
- Sodium: Sodium is needed in the body for the effective functioning of the various body organs.
- Oleuropein: It is a vital antioxidant which helps in improving the functioning of the urinary bladder.
- Hydroxytyrosol: On ripening, the oleuropein content will break down into hydroxytyrosol, which is a powerful antioxidant.
- Tyrosol: It is a major contributing factor for maintaining healthy heart life.
- Oleanolic Acid: It is a vital component for reducing liver diseases.
- Quercetin: It is involved with a remarkable reduction in the elevated levels of blood pressure.
Are Olives Healthy?
Olives constitute to be a staple fruit in the Mediterranean diet and consumed in the daily diet plan. If you wonder whether are olives healthy or not, then olives have innumerable benefits. Olives are rich sources of antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins.
The anti-inflammatory properties of olives are responsible for preventing different types of health issues such as Diabetes, Arthritis, Asthma, etc. It is a natural Cholesterol-cutting fruit which promotes better health and wellbeing. Thus, incorporate more olives in the daily diet plan and reap the best health benefits of olives today!
Health Benefits Of Olives:
The various health benefits of olives can be enlisted as follows:
- Olives aid in the elimination of excess Cholesterol from the bloodstream.
- The regular consumption of olives will help in maintaining the blood pressure and prevent Hypertension.
- Olives are rich sources of fiber. Thus, people who include olives in the diet plan will not need to concentrate on eating many fruits and vegetables.
- The high Vitamin E content is responsible for the olive benefits for hair and skin.
- Being a rich source of powerful antioxidants, olives provide ample protection to the body cells and prevent various types of cancers.
- The high fiber content of olives promotes healthy digestion, prevents constipation, piles, fissures, etc.
- The regular consumption of olives is found to have a positive impact on the nervous system and the neurological health of an individual.
- People who include olives in the daily diet plan will have a better memory, reduced risk of developing Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, etc.
- One of the best benefits of olives is the prevention of Liver diseases, Cancer, blood clots, DVT, Hematoma, etc.
- Being a rich source of Iron, olives help in reducing Anemia.
- Olives are found to enhance the fertility of both the sexes.
- One of the best health benefits of olives are boosting the immune responses of the body and reducing the risk of developing infections.
- Olives are associated with the promotion of healthy eyes.
- The Vitamin A content of the olives is found to be effective in providing protection against Macular degeneration, Night Blindness, Vision defects, etc.
Can Olives Help In Reducing The Weight?
Studies have proved that eating about 10 olives before having a meal will help in reducing the appetite by almost 20%. The main reason for curbing hunger is because of the monounsaturated fatty acid content of olives, which will slow down the process of digestion.
The release of the hormone Cholecystokinin will stimulate the brain to give a message of fullness. The chemical Adiponectin helps in burning the fat in the body and promote weight loss. Thus, one of the best health benefits of olives is promoting weight loss.
Olive Benefits For Hair:
Being rich in Vitamin E, olives and olive oil has striking hair benefits. The frequent application of olive oil on the scalp will help in keeping dandruff at bay! The other olive benefits for hair include strengthening the individual hair follicles, combating hair fall, promoting hair re-growth, etc.
Many people use olive oil on the scalp along with beaten egg for combating hair loss. It will not only help in preventing hair fall but also promote re-growth of hair by making the scalp healthy.
Benefits Of Olives For Skin:
The high content of fats is responsible for the striking benefits of olives for skin and hair. The regular consumption of olives is found to improve the skin health by more than 25%. It facilitates in keeping the skin soft and supple.
Olive oil acts as one of the best moisturizers for the skin, hydrating and nourishing the skin. The regular intake of olives is associated with a reduction in the formation of wrinkles, fine lines, age spots, acne marks, blemishes, etc. Among the types of olives, the black olives are the best for the skin and hair health.
The best way to develop healthy skin is by the topical application of olive oil on the skin. You must leave the oil for about 10-15 minutes by gently massaging the deeper skin layers. You will be able to reap the best results by washing the face with warm water before massaging the oil.
Boost The Cardio-vascular Health- Have Olives:
If you wonder are olives healthy, the intake of olives and olive oil is found to have remarkable benefits on the cardiovascular health of an individual. It helps in reducing the Cholesterol in the blood and hence, promotes healthy heart life. The phenolic compounds and antioxidants present in olives are responsible for the striking health benefits.
Know More: How Peaches Boost The Cardio-vascular Health
Olives-Can There Be Any Side Effects?
Many people think are olives a fruit or a vegetable, and the answer to the question is olives are fruits! Olives are one of the healthiest foods available on the planet earth. Olives are well suited to maximum people. However, they contain a high magnitude of salt.
Olives are packed in a liquid which is high in the salt content. Thus, they can pose certain health risks. Allergies to olives are not very common, but the allergy to the pollen of the olive trees is a very common phenomenon.
Tips For Buying Olive Oil:
To be able to reap the best health benefits of olives, you need to keep the following tips in mind:
- Always buy the certified variety of the olive oil, from a genuine store.
- The real extra virgin olive oil tastes slightly peppery or tangy in flavor.
- When you are buying the olive oil, you must always look for black or dark colored bottles.
- You must aim at buying fresh olives or canned olives of a good brand.
- Though olives have a high shelf-life, you must always check the expiry date of the olives when you buy it.
The Bottom Line-Olives:
Olives constitute to be an excellent addition to any meal or an evening snack. Olives are high in the fat content, low in carbs, high in powerful antioxidants, etc. The rich nutrient profile of olives is responsible for the striking health benefits of olives.