Throughout the 9months of pregnancy, drastic changes will take place in the body of the expectant mother. So eat well and stay healthy! The initial few weeks of pregnancy will be tough with nausea and morning sickness, but it will progress very quickly. The fetal developments at 11 weeks pregnant will be rapid.
The 11th week of pregnancy marks the rapid fetal developments in the baby. The baby will no longer be considered to be an embryo by the 11th week. There will be more human features and characteristic developed in the baby during this stage.
Symptoms Of Pregnancy At 11th Week:
The development of the baby inside the womb will lead to many visible changes in the body of the expectant mother. The most common 11 weeks pregnant symptoms include:
- Morning sickness
- Frequent urination
- Weight gain or uneasiness at abdomen
- Enlargement of the breasts
- Darkening of nipples
- Food cravings
- Mood swings
During the 11th week of pregnancy, the gynecologist can detect the fetal heartbeat by a Doppler. The Doppler is a handheld ultrasound device, which resembles a tape recorder. The Doppler will be used by the gynecologist to listen to the fetal heartbeat by placing over the belly. The doctor will move it around the belly and pick the heartbeat. The 11 weeks pregnant ultrasound will also help you with the heartbeat, which will be almost 120-150 beats per minute.
Important Pregnancy Hormones:
Pregnancy is associated with the secretion of various hormones in the body, as follows:
The human chorionic hormone:
The human chorionic hormone or HCG is a vital hormone for the development of the baby during the first trimester. It can be detected in the urine and the blood.
Progesterone facilitates the flow of blood to the uterus wall and the formation of the placenta. It is the hormone responsible for preparing the breasts for milk production, preventing premature labor, etc.
Estrogen is the hormone responsible for the development of the organs of the baby during pregnancy.
Relaxin is the hormone responsible for the expansion of the uterus during pregnancy. The uterus expands remarkably during pregnancy and will go back to its normal size post the delivery. The hormone relaxin facilitates drastic changes in the size of the uterus.
Baby Development At 11 Weeks:
At 11 weeks pregnant, the major stages of development take place in the baby. Rapid growth occurs, and the development of the body tissues and organs takes place during this week of pregnancy, as follows:
- The size of the baby at 11 weeks will be about the size of a fig.
- The fetus at 11 weeks will measure about 1 ½ inches long, weighing about a quarter of an ounce.
- Most of the bones formed in the body of the baby so far will start hardening at this stage.
- The hands will soon begin opening and closing into fists, and the fingers and toes are no longer webbed.
- Though the expectant mother won’t feel any movement this early, the baby inside the womb has already started kicking and stretching.
- The baby at 11 weeks can perform somersaults and forward rolls in the womb of the mother.
- The distinction of the legs into arms, thighs, ankles, knees, and toes takes place during this week.
- The future milk teeth buds start development in the baby’s mouth during this week.
- The diaphragm will be formed by the 11th week of pregnancy, which leads to hiccupping of the baby.
- The development of the facial features of the baby begins during the 6th week of pregnancy, and by the end of the 11th week of pregnancy, the features will get well defined.
- The baby develops most of the distinct human characteristics by the end of the 11th
- The nasal passages are well opened and operative.
- Ears are developed in proper shape and position.
- The mouth has an appropriately formed tongue and palate.
- The eyelids cover the eyes, which will be tightly shut during the first trimester. The eyes won’t open until the 23rd week of gestation.
- Fingernails and toenails begin development at 11 weeks pregnant.
- The baby’s body gets straightened during this week of development, and the lengthening of the torso occurs.
- Muscles get formed during the first trimester of pregnancy and begin contracting from the 8th week. By the end of the 11th week, the baby’s skeleton will be well formed.
- The external genitals are getting developed during the 11th week, hence not visible. However, the gender of the baby can be determined by the next week of pregnancy.
Body Changes At 11 Weeks:
- Most women feel energetic by the 11th week of pregnancy, as the morning sickness and nausea will start waning.
- Most women suffer from constipation. The main reason for constipation is the hormonal change in the body leading to slow digestion.
- Heartburn is a common symptom at 11 weeks pregnant. The secretion of hormones in the body during pregnancy relaxes the valve between the stomach and the esophagus.
- By the end of the 1st trimester, your appetite will increase, and weight gain will be moderate.
- At 11 weeks, the lower part of the abdomen will start protruding a bit. Although you won’t look pregnant, a tiny pregnant belly bump will start forming. You might be feeling tight and uncomfortable at the abdomen.
- Bloating and burping are common symptoms in pregnancy.
- The uterus continues to grow throughout the pregnancy, thereby crowding the stomach and the intestines.
Pregnancy Food Safety At 11 Weeks:
It is crucial to follow the 11 week pregnancy diet for the healthy development of the baby.
- Avoid foods that can harbor bacteria or parasites.
- Avoid raw and undercooked meat, poultry, fish, eggs, etc.
- Unpasteurized milk and dairy products.
- Never have refrigerated meats and spreads unless they can be heated well before intake.
- Avoid cold salads such as chicken and egg salads.
- You must never consume fruits and vegetables which have been kept open for more than 2 hours.
- Always avoid eating fruits and vegetables which aren’t washed well with water or peeled.
- Seafood can be dangerous for the growth of the developing baby in the womb. So it is best to avoid it!
- Alcohol is a complete no-no during pregnancy.
- You must drink milk to develop healthy bones and stay active during pregnancy.
- Caffeine in moderate quantities is allowed.
- Never have leftover food which has been kept out for more than 2hours.
- It is safest to consume perishable foods as soon as they are opened.
Pregnancy fatigue is the most common pregnancy symptoms at 11 weeks. During the 1st trimester, nausea and morning sickness are responsible for dehydration and tiredness. In the initial weeks, especially at 11 weeks pregnant, apart from the baby, even the placenta is being formed. The formation of the placenta, the life supporting system of the baby, will make you tired and fatigued. Once the placenta is formed, the energy levels might go up and make you energetic.
You will revive your energy levels by the 2nd trimester. Morning sickness and nausea will fade away gradually, making it easy to maintain the levels of energy. You can snack on healthy foods such as fruits and juices to keep the blood sugar levels up.
Care During Pregnancy:
The first trimester is the most crucial time for the development of the baby at 11 weeks pregnant. The chances of miscarriage are very high in the first few weeks of pregnancy, and hence pregnancy care is paramount.
Swimming and walking are excellent exercises throughout pregnancy. However, strenuous exercising or overdoing anything can be dangerous during pregnancy. You must avoid the lifting of heavy weights, and bending down often. Exercise promotes muscle tone, strengthens the muscles, and increases the stamina and the endurance levels of the body. The 3 qualities will help in making it comfortable during childbirth by increasing the body strength. It is paramount to get a good night’s sleep and sufficient rest during pregnancy.
Urinary Tract Infections:
Urinary Tract Infections are very common during pregnancy. The increased susceptibility to infections is mainly because of the pregnancy hormones. Frequent urination makes your private areas damp, giving room to the growth of diseases. Staying hygienic is crucial. You can use disinfectants to rinse the undergarments, use feminine vaginal washes, etc. Keeping a check on the urine output is paramount. You must meet your gynecologist in cases of foul smell in urine, burning sensation while urinating, pain or discomfort around the pelvic region, etc.
The various pregnancy hormones secreted in the body, make you susceptible to getting constipated. You can increase the fiber intake during pregnancy, to protect yourself from getting constipated. The gynecologist will suggest you not to exert pressure while passing the stools, as it can lead to unhealthy complications such as hemorrhoids.
There is increased blood supply in the body during pregnancy. Blue lines across the abdomen or breasts are a common sight during pregnancy. The blue lines are the expanded network of veins which nourish the growing baby inside you. The increase in the blood volume of the expectant mother might make you feel lightheaded or dizzy. The 11 weeks pregnant belly won’t be very visible, but there might be tightening at the abdomen.
Many women are susceptible to “varicose veins” during and after pregnancy. The condition wherein the blood gets collected in the weak spots of the veins, and makes them bulge is called as varicose veins. The legs are the most likely parts of the body to develop varicose veins because of pregnancy.
Never skip the pregnancy medication prescribed by your gynecologist. The regular intake of Folic Acid medication, Vitamin D supplements will help in protecting the baby from various congenital disabilities. It is also observed that women who take their pregnancy medications will have healthy babies and minor complications. Multivitamin, calcium, and iron intake are paramount during pregnancy. Calcium helps in the proper formation of the bones in the baby. Calcium also helps the women during lactation. Iron intake is very crucial to protect you from anemia and blood loss. The efficient baby development 11 weeks needs multivitamins and Vitamin D supplements.
Most women go about a cup size more during pregnancy. The pregnancy hormones, namely Progesterone and Estrogen are in charge for the achy feeling increased sensitivity in the breasts. In addition to the enlargement of the breasts, you will also observe the nipples to be sticking out more than normal. The darkening of the skin around the nipples is another typical breast change during pregnancy. There is a multiplication of the milk ducts in the breasts, to facilitate lactation. The various changes taking place in the breasts are to prepare them for lactation. You can invest in good maternity bra. It is paramount to keep in mind that there will be changes in the breasts during pregnancy and after the delivery. So buy a bra which has provision for keep you comfortable.
Stretch marks constitute to be a very common problem during pregnancy. The primary cause of stretch marks is the difference in the elasticity of the skin. The skin differences can be attributed to sudden weight loss or weight gain. The human skin has the capability to get loose due to drastic changes in its structure. Stretch marks are unavoidable during pregnancy. They will fade away within a year post the delivery of the baby. You will observe stretch marks around the 2nd trimester of pregnancy but care needs to be taken right from the 1st trimester onwards.
Understanding the week and the month of the pregnancy is essential for pregnancy care. You can identify the week of your pregnancy to the corresponding month, and the trimester through the pregnancy calendar.
|1st Trimester||Month 1||1 to 4 weeks|
|Month 2||5 to 8 weeks|
|Month 3||9 to 13 weeks|
|Month 4||14 to 17 weeks|
|Month 5||18 to 21 weeks|
|Month 6||22 to 26 weeks|
|Month 7||27 to 30 weeks|
|Month 8||31 to 35 weeks|
|Month 9||36 to 40 weeks|
When Do You Need Medical Aid?
It is of focal importance for pregnant women to take sufficient care and precaution, for the small human being growing inside her! There are many body pains, aches and body changes taking place in the woman during pregnancy.
Each week of pregnancy is life changing, and at the 11th week of pregnancy, the uterus will have increased to more than double its actual size. It can lead to abdominal pain or uneasiness at the belly. It might get difficult for you to understand when it is a common pregnancy symptom at 11 weeks pregnant and when you need to visit the gynecologist. However, you must know few important things, as follows:
- Vaginal Bleeding.
- Intense pain in the lower back.
- Pain in the lower abdomen.
- Urination discomfort.
- Decreased urine output.
- Severe vomiting.
- Excessive dehydration.
- Itching around the pubic area.
Eat well and nutritious, remain healthy, and welcome a healthy little one soon!