Tips For A 16 Weeks Pregnant Women – Things To Be Taken Care Of During 4th Month
Pregnancy involves a lot of changes in the body of the woman. However, it is the stage of a remarkable transformation from a woman to a mother, and also a man to a father! With each passing week, you will come across a new change or development in the body. Understanding the 16 weeks pregnant body changes and baby developments is essential to stay healthy.
You can make your pregnancy as the most beautiful experiences of your life by enjoying your days, bonding well with your partner, and stay healthy! Understand the several 16 weeks pregnant symptoms, listen to what your gynecologist has to tell you, follows the health tips, and have a healthy pregnancy!
Baby Development At 16th Week:
The week 16 of pregnancy marks the phase of the growth spurt. In the coming weeks, the weight of the baby will get doubled. The various developments taking place in the baby at 16 weeks pregnant are as follows:
- The baby will be about the size of an avocado by this week.
- The fetal measurements will be around 4 ½ inches long, weighing about 3 ½ ounces.
- Development of the legs is rapid during the week of gestation.
- The head gets erect by the end of the 16th
- At 16th week of pregnancy, patterning of the scalp takes place.
- The fingernails and toenails will be formed during this week.
- The muscles of the baby’s backbone will start gaining strength, which in turn leads to the straightening of the head and the neck.
- The facial muscles get developed, making the baby capable of changing the expressions, crying, and even frowning.
- The eyelids will remain shut during this week of pregnancy. However, there will be side to side movement of the eyeballs.
- The face starts the development of the eyebrows and the eyelashes too!
- The skin starts development during this week. However, the skin will be entirely transparent, to the extent that the blood vessels underneath the skin will be visible in an ultrasound.
- The baby at 16 weeks can hear the mother’s voice and other sounds around him or her.
- The baby will be able to differentiate the sound of the mother from the other sounds after birth, owing to the recognition during the weeks of pregnancy.
Baby Movements At 16th Week Of Pregnancy:
One of the most beautiful and memorable experiences of pregnancies is feeling the baby move in the womb. The fetal movements will help in creating a strong bond of love between the mother and the baby, which will grow stronger after the birth. It is essential to keep track of the movements of the baby in the uterus as lesser movements can signal a potential problem.
- The first apparent movements of the 16 weeks baby in womb are termed as “quickening.”
- The initial movements will be felt as flutters in the stomach, similar to the formation of gas or indigestion.
- The initial movements can be felt by most women around 16 weeks pregnant to the 22nd week of pregnancy.
- The fetal movements will continue to get stronger during the 2nd trimester, as the baby will gain weight.
- The intensity and frequency of the fetal movements will be high when you are relaxed, sleeping or lying down.
- The frequency and pattern of the fetal movements will be different for different women.
- The first time mothers will feel the baby moving in the womb later than the 2nd time mothers.
- The movements of the baby felt by the mother will also depend upon the built of the woman.
Now that you are well aware of the several developments taking place in your body, you must understand the weeks and months of the pregnancy. Following a pregnancy calendar will help you in identifying the week of your pregnancy corresponding to the month and the trimester. You can follow the health tips as per the 16 weeks pregnant, using the pregnancy calendar as follows:
|1st Trimester||Month 1||1 to 4 weeks|
|Month 2||5 to 8 weeks|
|Month 3||9 to 13 weeks|
|Month 4||14 to 17 weeks|
|Month 5||18 to 21 weeks|
|Month 6||22 to 26 weeks|
|Month 7||27 to 30 weeks|
|Month 8||31 to 35 weeks|
|Month 9||36 to 40 weeks|
Body Changes At 16 Weeks:
The variations in the body of the expectant mother will be very rapid and visible during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. The various body changes will be as follows:
- The top part of the uterus can be felt halfway through between the pubic bone and the navel owing to the baby development at 16 weeks.
- Thickening and stretching of the round ligaments will occur during this stage, to support the growing and expanding uterus.
- This week of pregnancy will considerably reduce nausea and morning sickness.
- Most women will feel the fetal movements during the 16th week of pregnancy.
- However, few women can feel the movements little later, around the 20th
- Weight gain occurs during the 2nd
- Gaining weight slowly during this stage is a sign of a healthy pregnancy.
- Nasal congestion, nosebleeds, and stuffy nose are common symptoms especially at 16 weeks pregnant.
- Dental problems might crop up during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
- You might start observing blue veins across the belly and other parts of the body.
- Visible veins are mainly due to the increase in the flow of blood in the body of the expectant mother.
- Stretch marks are common during pregnancy.
- As the belly grows to accommodate the expanding uterus and the baby, fine reddish-silver streaks will be observed on the tummy, buttocks, hips, and breasts.
- Topical application of anti-stretch marks creams and lotions will help in reducing the fine lines.
Stretch Marks During Pregnancy:
Stretch marks are very common during pregnancy, and ultimately inevitable and unavoidable. The changes on the surface of the skin, owing to weight gain during pregnancy and sudden weight loss post the delivery causes stretch marks.
- The most likely parts of the body to develop stretch marks are the hips, buttocks, waist, belly, breasts, etc.
- Stretch marks are fine lines, cracked lines or minor streaks on the surface of the skin.
- The color of the fine wrinkles will range from light pink to silver.
- Stretch marks mostly begin developing in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy, especially at 16 weeks pregnant.
- The stretch marks will fade away with time, approximately a year after delivering the baby.
- By use of topical creams and lotions, you can reduce the stretch marks considerably.
- However, it is essential to understand that it is entirely normal to develop stretch marks, and you can’t avoid them from forming.
- You can use creams to keep the skin from excessive drying and thereby reduce the sensation of itching created by the dry skin.
Dental Problems During Pregnancy:
Most of the dental problems that women suffer from will diminish after the delivery of the baby. The increase in the secretion of pregnancy hormones in the body is responsible for the dental problems. The various dental problems that a pregnant woman can suffer from at 16 weeks pregnant as follows:
- Sore gums
- Bleeding while brushing and flossing
- Inflammation of gums
- Bumps on gums or pregnancy tumors
Weight Gain At 16th Week:
Gaining weight during pregnancy, especially during the 2nd trimester is of focal importance. You must concentrate on the diet, or even meet a dietician to help you with the appropriate weight gain during pregnancy. At 16 weeks pregnant there should be a minimum weight gain of around 12 pounds.
Many women don’t gain much weight in the 1st trimester of pregnancy, owing to the increased frequency of nausea and morning sickness. As you progress into the 2nd trimester, the intensity of morning sickness will get reduced significantly. In addition to a decrease in the morning sickness, the growing baby will also increase the body weight.
Adequate weight gain is of prime importance during pregnancy, to deliver a healthy baby. You must concentrate on the diet and have frequent meals to stay active and hydrated especially at 16 weeks pregnant.
Healthy Foods During The 2nd Trimester:
You must stay healthy and active, and increase the body’s stamina to endure childbirth, by eating nutritious food. The 16 week pregnancy diet must include the following:
- Citrus fruits such as oranges, sweet lime, grapefruit, lemon, tangerines, etc.
- Milk and dairy products
- Coconut water
- Green leafy vegetables
- Bell peppers
- Boiled egg
- Dry fruits and nuts
The various pregnancy hormones secreted in the body will accelerate the flow of blood to the membranes of the nose. The result of the increase in the blood flow is a stuffy nose and even nosebleeds especially at 16 weeks pregnant. The congestion in the nasal passage will get back to normal post the delivery of the baby. However, you can help yourself from feeling uncomfortable by taking the following steps:
- The gynecologist can suggest a nasal spray to help in keeping the nasal passage clear.
- You can use a humidifier in the room to help you with the blocked nose.
- A little petroleum jelly can be dabbed around the nose to protect from drying.
- The increased flow of blood in the body during pregnancy can lead to a painful condition called as “varicose veins.”
- The condition in which the blood is collected in the delicate parts of the veins, thereby making them bulge out is termed as varicose veins.
- The legs are the most likely parts of the body to develop varicose veins during pregnancy, especially at 16 weeks pregnant.
- Women who suffer from varicose veins must avoid standing or sitting continuously in one place.
- Moving the legs and feet frequently will help in reducing the discomfort caused by varicose veins.
Determining The Gender Of The Baby:
Prenatal scanning can identify the gender of the baby at 16 weeks pregnant. While many people prefer to ascertain the gender of the baby during pregnancy, many others want it to remain a surprise. There are both pros and cons involved with the determination of the sex of the baby before birth.
- In India, it is illegal to determine the gender of the baby before birth, during prenatal scanning or 16 weeks pregnant ultrasound.
- Many senior women predict the sex of the baby through non-medical ways or home tips.
- An essential point to keep in mind before confirming the gender of your baby is to understand the limitations of technology.
- The ultrasound scan might not give an accurate report of the baby’s sex as it will be based entirely upon the position of the baby during the scanning.
- The non-medical ways of gender prediction can be tried for the sake of fun.
- There is no medical justification to the midwife tales for determining the sex of the baby before birth.
Fun Ways For Determining The Gender Of The Baby:
- You can try to use a Chinese lunar calendar to identify the baby’s gender. It makes use of the date of birth of the expectant mother and the date of conception of the baby.
- You can try the gender prediction kits, easily available in the market these days.
- Gender prediction through fetal heartbeat calculation is an easy way to predict the gender.
- It is said that girls will have heartbeat of 150 and above, while boys will have a heartbeat of 130 and below.
- The shape of the belly of the expectant mother is supposed to be helpful in predicting the gender of the baby.
- Women who carry high are expected to be carrying a girl, and those who carry low are expected to give birth to boys.
- Morning sickness which lasted throughout the 2nd trimester or entire pregnancy means you are expecting a girl.
- The reason for this could be the excess secretion of hormones in the body.
- Many people predict the baby’s sex by the weight gain of the mother during pregnancy.
- If the expectant woman gains weight on her hips and buttocks, she is supposed to be carrying a girl.
- If the expectant mother gains weight on the belly region only, then is supposed to be expecting a boy.
- It is assumed that the changes in the breast size will be more if you are carrying a girl.
- The increase in the breast size and shape during pregnancy will be less if you are expecting a boy.
- If the pregnant woman suffers from swelling on the feet, then she can expect a girl.
- If there is little or no swelling on the feet and legs during pregnancy, then she might be pregnant with a boy.
- If the skin on the hands becomes soft and supple during pregnancy, then you can be carrying a girl.
- If the skin on the hands becomes hard and dry during pregnancy, then you might be pregnant with a boy.
Pregnancy care is of prime importance throughout the 9months. If you keep few simple tips in mind, then pregnancy will become an experience of a lifetime for you!
- Pregnancy diet, especially at 16 weeks pregnant is very crucial for the healthy development of the body.
- The body of the woman goes through many changes and immense pain during childbirth. So you need to keep yourself healthy by concentrating on the diet.
- Gentle exercising and walking are advisable, but not strenuous exercising.
- You must stay well hydrated by drinking ample water and fruit juices.
- You must keep a track on your body posture to keep body pains at bay!
- Wear loose fitted and breathable clothing, to allow room for the growing baby.
- Concentrate on the footwear you chose! Always wear comfortable footwear, which doesn’t slip.
Kranthi Kumar Maska is a profound blogger, entrepreneur who predominately writes on Health, Travel, Lifestyle. He is a certified writer in Nutrition, Health care, and Diet. “The best in you comes out when you have nothing in your favour” is what Kranthi believes in. He has a lot of interests, out of which writing is his love, and “Digital Marketing” is his passion.