Rapid developments take place in the baby during the first trimester of pregnancy. As you progress into the 2nd trimester, the baby will develop the body reflexes. Very soon, you will be able to feel the baby move inside you! At 17 weeks pregnant, several developments take place in the body of the baby.
The different body organs of the baby will be formed by this week, but they will continue to get developed further during the entire duration of 9 months. By the 17th week of pregnancy, the baby will be more than double the original size and will continue to grow further.
Symptoms Of Pregnancy At Week 17:
The various 17 weeks pregnant symptoms are as follows:
- Increase in body weight
- Protruding belly or visible baby bump
- Cramping of legs
- Swelling of the feet
- Increase in appetite
- Increase in the breast size
- Food cravings
- Increased vaginal discharge
- Fatigue and tiredness
- Nasal congestion or blocked nose
- Varicose veins
- Development of stretch marks
Pregnancy care is paramount! Understanding the week and the month of the pregnancy will be beneficial for you and the baby. You can identify the week of the pregnancy to the corresponding month, and the trimester through the pregnancy calendar.
|1st Trimester||Month 1||1 to 4 weeks|
|Month 2||5 to 8 weeks|
|Month 3||9 to 13 weeks|
|Month 4||14 to 17 weeks|
|Month 5||18 to 21 weeks|
|Month 6||22 to 26 weeks|
|Month 7||27 to 30 weeks|
|Month 8||31 to 35 weeks|
|Month 9||36 to 40 weeks|
Baby Developments At Week 17:
The various developments taking place in the body of the baby at 17 weeks pregnant are as follows:
- The baby will weigh about 5 ounces, similar to the size of a turnip.
- The fetal length will be 5-inches from the head to the bottom.
- The baby at 17 weeks gets more straightened, and as the pregnancy progresses, it will no longer be curled up.
- The fat in the body of the baby will start getting accumulated at this stage and will continue until the end of the pregnancy.
- The skeleton of the baby will start changing from a soft cartilage to a hard bony structure during this week.
- The sweat glands start development at 17 weeks pregnant.
- The baby will be able to move its joints freely from this week onwards as the hands, feet, and the fingers become more and more distinct and flexible.
- The baby can practice sucking and swallowing movements by now which will be helpful after birth.
- The determination of the sex of the baby can be performed during this week of pregnancy. However, the position of the baby at the time of the scanning will help in determining the gender.
- The baby starts sprouting hair all over the body, called as “lanugo.”
- The hair on the body of the fetus will function in providing protection to the tender and soft skin.
- The fetal hair will shed very soon during the last weeks of gestation, just before the due date.
- The 17 weeks pregnant ultrasound will show the fetal heart rate to be approximately 130 beats and above per minute.
The most amazing 17 weeks baby development taking place in the body of the baby is the formation of the baby’s fingerprints! The fingertips and the toes start developing their unique creases and swirls at this stage.
Each and every person will have a unique pattern of fingerprints different from the rest. No two people in the world can have the same fingerprints. The fingerprints of the hands and the toes of the baby will not only be unique and help in identification but also assist in grasping objects.
Also Read: How to Remove White Spots on Nails
Changes In The Body At Week 17:
- The 17 weeks pregnant belly will start to protrude out with a visible baby bump.
- The growing belly will change the center of gravity, thereby making you feel unsteady.
- Thickening and stretching of the round ligaments will occur during this week. It will support the growing and expanding uterus.
- Drying of the eyes is a common problem that many women complain of during this week of pregnancy.
- The increase in the vaginal secretions is observed during pregnancy, especially at 17 weeks pregnant. The overall blood volume of the body increases during pregnancy. Thus, an increase in milky-white vaginal discharge is observed.
- The frequency of urination will get reduced to a considerable extent during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
- A gradual increase in the appetite will be observed as you progress into the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Since there is a decreased intensity and frequency of morning sickness, you will be more likely to eat well now.
- Weight gain will be noticed during this stage of pregnancy. As the baby starts growing, you will observe 17 weeks pregnant weight gain.
- Dental problems might crop up during the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. Most of the dental problems that women suffer from during pregnancy will diminish after the delivery of the baby.
- The increased flow of blood in the body during pregnancy can lead to a painful condition called as “varicose veins.” The legs are the most likely parts of the body to develop varicose veins during pregnancy.
- Sleeping problems will get common during the end of the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. The increase in the size of the baby and the belly will make it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position.
Baby’s Sex Determination:
Knowing the gender of the developing baby in the womb is exciting, isn’t it? Many people prefer to know the sex of the baby right in the womb itself, while many others prefer to wait until the due date. However, it is best to wait for your little one to come in your arms irrespective of its gender.
- Prenatal scanning can help greatly in solving the problem of identifying the gender of the baby around the 15th week of pregnancy.
- However, an important aspect to consider before you declare the gender of your baby is to understand the limitations of science and technology.
- The ultrasound scan may not give you an accurate report of the sex of the baby sometimes.
- The positioning of the baby in the uterus at the time of the ultrasound scan plays a significant role in the identification of the sex.
- The home ways of gender prediction have no scientific and medical assurance.
- You can experiment with the traditional and home ways of gender prediction for the sake of fun.
Unusual Dreams During Pregnancy:
Many women complain of strange dreams during pregnancy. It is a very common problem associated with pregnancy. During the 2nd and the 3rd trimesters of pregnancy, sleeping itself becomes a task! Owing to the increasing body weight, uncomfortable posture for sleeping, and increased fetal movements in the uterus, women find it difficult to sleep well.
Pregnancy involves increased secretion of hormones in the body of the expectant mother, especially at 17 weeks pregnant. The increase in the hormones will make the women very anxious, restless, depressed, sensitive or with heightened emotions.
The dreams can be about any bizarre and unusual theme. It could be about the developing baby in the uterus, and it could be about your spouse or even your past life. Most of the dreams have no significance and must never be taken seriously. It is a passing phase of pregnancy and you will get over it soon!
Stretch Marks During 17 Weeks Pregnancy:
Stretch marks constitute to be one of the most common problems associated with pregnancy. Stretch marks range from reddish to silver streaks formed on the skin.
- Stretch marks develop on hips, thighs, buttocks, arms, abdomen, breasts, etc.
- The main cause of stretch marks on the body is the difference in the elasticity of the skin.
- The differences on the surface of the skin can be triggered due to sudden weight loss or weight gain.
- The human skin has the remarkable capability to get loose due to sudden changes in its structure.
- Stretch marks will fade away with time, in about a year post the delivery of the baby.
- You will observe stretch marks in the 2nd trimester around 17 weeks pregnant, but care needs to be taken from the 1st trimester itself.
- Applications of skin creams and lotions will help in reducing the skin dryness and itching, thereby decreasing the possibility of getting stretch marks.
- Many people prefer to apply Olive Oil and Aloe Vera to help in reducing the stretch marks.
Snoring During Pregnancy:
Many women feel that they have suddenly started to snore during sleep. The habit of snoring, especially at 17 weeks pregnant can be attributed to the increase in the pregnancy hormones. Snoring is common and temporary, so there is nothing to worry!
- You can use a humidifier in the room to prevent snoring.
- Nasal strips help in the opening of the nasal passages, which turns out to be useful to help people who snore.
- Sleeping on a couple of pillows, so that the head can be slightly elevated is a great way to reduce snoring.
Pregnancy Care At 17 Weeks:
- The growing belly might make your body balance unstable. It is advisable to wear low-heeled and comfortable shoes.
- Trauma to the abdomen can be very dangerous for the baby as well as for you. So, you must stay cautious and avoid getting hurt in the belly, especially at 17 weeks pregnant.
- The immune system of the body gets considerably suppressed during pregnancy. Hence, staying cautious and hygienic is of prime importance during pregnancy.
- You must wash your hands regularly or use a hand sanitizer often to keep yourself away from germs and infections.
- Avoid wearing contact lenses during pregnancy. As you progress towards the middle of the 2nd trimester, many women complain of dry eyes. You can use lubricating drops and use glasses to ease the comfort.
- Women who suffer from varicose veins must avoid standing or sitting continuously in one place. Moving the legs and feet frequently will help in reducing the discomfort which is caused by varicose veins.
- The appetite will slowly increase in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy. However, overeating can be unhealthy! You just continue to eat small meals at regular time intervals to avoid indigestion, heartburn, and gas formation.
- There will be an increase in the size of the belly at 17 weeks pregnant and the further days. You must wear comfortable clothing which is a breathable material so that the growing belly can be accommodated.
Tips During Pregnancy:
- Drinking 10-12 glasses of water is essential during pregnancy, especially at 17 weeks pregnant. Alternatively, you can have fresh fruit juices, coconut water, etc. to stay hydrated.
- The milk-producing glands will be actively preparing for nursing the baby post delivery. The increase in the flow of blood to the breasts will increase the breast size to about twice the original cup size. Therefore, it is crucial to invest in a good maternity bra during pregnancy.
- The increase in the secretion of hormones in the body during pregnancy is responsible for the dental problems. Good dental hygiene will be very beneficial to guard you against the dental problems.
- Exercising is a very healthy option during pregnancy as it promotes muscle tone, strengthens the muscles, and increases the stamina of the body. It will be beneficial for you to endure childbirth by regular exercise.
- It is observed that women who take their pregnancy medications, such as Multivitamin, Folic Acid, Calcium, and Iron, will tend to have healthy babies with minor complications.
- Concentrating on the 17 weeks pregnant diet is of focal importance. You must increase the intake of fresh fruits, green leafy vegetables, dry fruits, and nuts, etc.
Sex Life During Pregnancy:
The indulgence in sex is one of the major aspects of concern for many couples during pregnancy. According to gynecologists, sex during pregnancy is completely safe and normal. Both the amniotic sac as well as the mucous plug will protect the developing baby well.
- There is no possibility to harm the baby by vaginal penetration. However, you must avoid intercourse if you have a high-risk pregnancy, especially during 17 weeks pregnant.
- In the case of a low lying placenta, your gynecologist will suggest you abstain.
- If you have suffered an abortion or a miscarriage previously, your gynecologist will advise you to be cautious.
- If you had bleeding or spotting during pregnancy, the gynecologist would suggest you avoid sex.
- The sex positions must be kept in mind during pregnancy. Ample precaution must be taken care so that there is no direct pressure exerted on the belly.
- Many expectant women have a decreased sex drive while others have an increased sex drive during the different trimesters of pregnancy.
- In the last trimester of pregnancy, the orgasm can trigger uterine contractions and hence must be avoided.
- It is paramount for any couple to understand that pregnancy is a phase of life and making your partner comfortable is crucial and essential.
The baby growth in the 17th week of pregnancy will be very rapid. By 17 weeks, most of the vital organs in the body of the baby will be entirely developed. However, the baby will need to undergo many further developments to be able to survive outside the womb.