14 Home Remedies For Gout. Why Should You Worry About Your Parents Developing Gout?
What is gout? Why is it that a large amount of the population in a hunt of home remedies for gout?
It’s time to make your parents aware of the most commonly recorded medical ailment gout which in today’s world is said to be affecting around 4% of the American population (approximately equal to 9 million).
The probability of being attacked with gout increases with age. So, it’s high time you take a proper care of your parents and gain a proper knowledge of the risk factors that may increase the chance of an acute gout attack.
If you are looking for the best possible ways to subside your pain, you can refer below to know some amazing home remedies to soothe your joints and relieve you from the pain.
If your grandparents or parents suffer from gout, there is a slight possibility (only 20%) that you may inherit it through them.
What Is Gout?
Gout is basically a type of arthritis which may show up frequently in the form of acute gout attacks This is characterized by an intense pain, bulging in the affected area and an appearance of reddish or pink colour in the affected area which is the joints.
It is the big toe that most commonly gets attacked (a small joint present near the big toe) but the other joint areas that may get affected include knees, elbows, wrist or fingers.
The pain can sometimes be so severe, even a slight touch of light objects can cause an intense pain in the area of joints. But, do not worry! You can treat your aching joints with some of the best home remedies for gout that I have mentioned in the article.
Gout is said to be more prevalent in men than in women and it can most commonly attack people whose age is around 75 years.
Gout attack symptoms can last up to 2 weeks but the symptoms are much severe for two days of the attack. In most cases, the pain is to persist for a lifetime.
What Causes Gout?
Most of the foods that we consume contain purine in them which forms the uric acid when it is broken down.
This uric acid gets accumulated in the joints in the form of needle-like solid structures which causes severe pain, inflammation and redness in the joints.
It is surprising to know that most of the Americans contain high levels of uric acid in their body, the condition which is known as Hyperuricemia but only a few per cent of people suffering from Hyperuricemia develop gout.
Who Is At A Higher Risk Of Developing Gout?
It is indeed a fact that the disorder affects the old and elderly, but you will be surprised to know that the risk factors of the disease are related to the lifestyle that you maintain all through your adolescence and adulthood.
Here are a few possible risk factors of gout
- Excessive alcohol intake (Moderate alcohol intake can also be dangerous)
- Being overweight or obese (caused due to an excessive consumption of junk food)
- An elevated blood pressure
- The improper functioning of the kidney
- Certain medications such as diuretics, drugs that contain vitamin B3, some immunosuppressant drugs and some drugs used to cure Parkinson’s disease.
The following symptoms can occur in any area of joint such as knees, wrists, fingers, elbows, big toes and ankles.
- Change in the colour of the affected area (pink, reddish or purple in appearance)
- Intense pain and swelling in the joints
- Sudden gout attacks during the middle of the night or as soon as you wake up.
- Tightness or stiffness in the joints
- Formation of lumps in the joint areas may also take place if the situation is left untreated which is why a proper treatment and a follow up of home remedies for gout is very much essential.
The pain may start at only one area of the joint but it may continue to show up in other joints when left untreated.
How To Treat Gout Naturally? 14 Best Home Remedies For Gout
There is an immediate need for you to consult your doctor as soon as you witness the pain in one or the other areas to stop gout from emerging in other areas other than which it was originally developed.
Make sure that you do not miss any of these home remedies for gout if you are looking for an amazing result.
There are two best reasons why papaya works as the best natural remedies for gout.
Firstly, papaya contains a proteolytic enzyme which is popularly known as papain, which helps in reducing the joint pains since the enzyme is anti-inflammatory in nature.
Secondly, eating raw papayas helps in preventing the further building up of uric acid in the body since papain helps your body to remain in the state of alkalinity.
2. How To Treat Gout Naturally With Kombucha?
Gout is a condition that is essentially caused due to solidification of uric acid into crystals that accumulate in the joints.
Consuming kombucha tea on a regular basis can prevent the formation of uric acid crystals in the joints because kombucha converts uric acid into a fluid that is easily soluble in water which can gradually get flushed out into the urinary tract.
They can later get excreted through kidneys.
How To Make Kombucha Tea?
Making Kombucha tea involves two steps – Preparation of kombucha scoby and preparation of kombucha tea.
Step 1: Preparation Of Kombucha Scoby
- Water – 1 litre
- Raw kombucha – 1 bottle
- One-fourth cup – Sugar (prefer organic)
- Black tea bags – 3
- One big glass jar
How To Make Kombucha Scoby?
- Boil one litre of water in a large vessel and add 3-4 black tea bags to the water. Let the water absorb the essence of black tea from the bags after which you can discard them.
- Add 1\4th cup of sugar to this and stir this well for 5 minutes.
- Let it cool until it gets to room temperature and transfer this to a glass jar. Make sure that the jar is sterilized.
- Add a bottle of raw kombucha (which you can buy in your nearby supermarkets or order one online) into the glass jar.
- Tie and secure the mouth of the glass jar with a neat and clean cheesecloth secured with a tight rubber band and place this in a storeroom for two weeks.
- After two weeks, you will see the scoby growing inside the jar which appears white and thick.
- Collect the scoby and do not discard the liquid extract (we call this starter tea & we will need this while making kombucha tea).
Step 2: How To Make Kombucha Tea?
- Water – 3-4 litres
- Black tea bags – 5-7
- Organic sugar – 1 cup
- Kombucha Scoby that you have prepared
- A large glass jar
- Boil 3-4 litres of water and add tea bags to the water.
- Wait until the water turns reddish brown after absorbing the essence of tea. Add 1 cup sugar into this and stir this well.
- Let It cool until it gets to room temperature and transfer this into a glass jar. Avoid using metal jars as this can spoil the kombucha scoby. Also, make sure that the tea is cool enough to be added to the glass jar because hot temperatures can kill the kombucha.
- Add the starter tea that you have collected from the first step of preparation and cover the jar with a cheesecloth secured with a tight rubber band.
- Wait for 2 weeks until you see bubbles in the jar which indicate that the kombucha has fermented
- Now you are all set to sip a tasty and healthy kombucha tea as one of the home remedies for gout.
Caution – If you begin to experience any symptoms like nausea, cramps or any discomfort while drinking kombucha tea, stop the consumption immediately.
3. How Does Ginger Work For Gout Pain Relief?
Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties which can help in providing a soothing effect to your joints, relieving you from the inflammation and tenderness.
You can boil a cup of water and add chopped ginger along with carom seeds to this. After a few minutes of boiling, be ready to collect the decoction and drink this at least once in a day as one of the home remedies for gout.
Avoid using ginger as one of the gout remedies if
- You are suffering from any kind of bleeding disorders
- If you are currently breastfeeding
- If you are pregnant
Also, do not rely on ginger as the only remedy for treating gout by overdoing the consumption.
4. Celery Seeds
Celery seeds help in alkalizing your body by expelling uric acid from your body.
Consuming celery seeds on a regular basis causes you to urinate more because of which excess uric acid and crystals formed due to uric acid get excreted from your system.
This is possible because celery seeds act as natural diuretics. (Diuretics are the substances which help in expelling excess water and salts from your body).
Celery seeds as a part of gout remedies are available in the form of capsules (which can be taken in the dosage of 500 mg two times in a day).
Make sure that you consult your doctor before taking celery seeds as one of the home remedies for gout to prevent side effects.
5. How To Use Castor Oil For Gout Pain Relief?
This systematic method of treating painful joints with gout is said to show amazing results in relieving the people from gout symptoms and the uneasiness caused due to them.
You can follow this remedy overnight or for a time period of 4-5 hours to experience the relief
- Take a few drops of castor oil and gently rub this over the painful joint area for 2-3 minutes.
- Take any piece of metal and immerse it in castor oil. Place this over the affected area and secure this with a saran wrap.
- Apply a hot compress over this area for a few minutes until you feel relaxed.
- You can either leave it as such all through the night or leave it for 3-4 hours.
- You will witness a decrease in the pain after undoing the bandage.
To know More: Castor Oil Benefits and Uses for Health
Garlic works in two best ways as one of the natural remedies for gout. The anti-inflammatory properties of garlic help in reducing the swelling and the associated pain.
Garlic is said to eliminate the excess uric acid that has been formed in your body,
If you love the spicy flavour of garlic, you can make a habit of chewing one or two raw garlic cloves. If you dislike the strong and pungent smell of garlic, try including garlic as much as possible into your diet to reduce the formation of uric acid crystals (which is exactly what causes gout).
7. How To Treat Gout With Turmeric?
It is a very well-known fact that turmeric contains anti-inflammatory properties that are automatic to heal your joint pains and reduce the swelling.
But, there is something more to turmeric that helps in an effective treatment of gout. There is an enzyme called xanthine oxidase which is naturally produced during the formation and production of uric acid.
Consuming turmeric helps in reducing the production of this enzyme which ultimately reduces the production of uric acid.
Start increasing the quantity of turmeric in your regular diet or make turmeric milk an important inclusion into your breakfast list.
Avoid consuming turmeric under these situations.
- If you have been suffering from gallstone problems,
- If you have to undergo a surgery
- If you are currently breastfeeding (or)
- If you are pregnant.
Cherries such as blueberries, raspberries or cherry tarts have an amazing impact in reducing the swelling associated with pain because of a pigment called anthocyanin which contains anti-inflammatory properties.
Fortunately, they make you strong furthermore because the same pigment anthocyanin contains anti-oxidant properties which are responsible for boosting your immune power.
There is a special variety of cherry juice (Montmorency) available at online retail stores that helps in decreasing the concentration of uric acid in the blood, thereby acting as one of the natural gout remedies.
9. Seeds Of Milk Thistle
Milk thistle may not directly help in decreasing the levels of uric acid in your body. But, the best thing about consuming milk thistle is that it helps in increasing the efficacy of your liver.
Your liver needs to function effectively in order to eliminate uric acid from your body which is why milk thistle can work as a supporting ingredient for expelling uric acid from your body.
Milk thistle contains a flavonoid called Silymarin which helps in alleviating the pain and reducing the gout symptoms.
10. How Does Coriander Work As Home Remedies For Gout?
Consuming coriander or what they call as cilantro can definitely help in decreasing the amount of uric acid from your body which makes it one of the effective natural remedies for gout.
Studies have proven that consuming 5 grams of coriander on a regular basis has helped in the reduction of uric acid by 4 milligrams per deciliter.
You can start increasing the usage of cilantro by garnishing your main courses and side dishes with this healthy spice.
11. Chanca Piedra
Chanca Piedra which is also commonly known as Phyllanthus niruri is the most commonly grown crop in most of the tropical parts of the world.
It is used as the remedy in the countries like Peru and Brazil for various problems but you can find it in most of the online retail websites if you want to purchase one.
The usage of Chanca Piedra can make you urinate more because of which uric acid may get expelled more. Also, chanca piedra helps in reducing the gout symptoms like pain and inflammation.
You must consult your doctor before consuming this herb as this may interact with several medications and cause side effects. The dosage varies according to the health condition of the individual.
12. How To Treat Gout With Kale?
There are two best reasons to explain why kale is included in the list of home remedies for gout. Kale contains a compound called quercetin which helps in inhibiting the activity of xanthine oxidase which is an important enzyme formed during the production of uric acid.
Kale is also one of the green leafy veggies which are highly rich in antioxidants that are essential for reducing the intensity of gout symptoms that occur during gout attacks.
13. Epsom Salt For Gout Treatment
Using Epsom salt for gout has two major benefits. Soaking your feet (affected area) into a bathtub dissolved with Epsom salt can secrete the excess uric acid from your body.
Following the remedy also helps in reducing the pain and inflammation occurred in the affected area.
How To Use Epsom Salt For Gout?
- Add 2 cups of Epsom salt into the water bath filled with warm water and let the salt get dissolved.
- Soak the affected part of your body into the water and relax for 15-20 minutes.
If the affected area is the part other than your feet, you can soak a cloth in a tub filled with Epsom salt warm water and press the cloth against the painful area to obtain a relief.
14. Dairy Products As Gout Remedies
There are certain medications which are termed as uricosuric as they help in treating uricosuria (presence of excess uric acid in the blood).
Dairy products contain an acid called orotic acid which helps in expelling excess uric acid from the body through the kidneys.
Consuming milk, cheese, yogurt, and other dairy products can help in keeping the uric acid in check and help in an effective treatment of gout.
Foods To Avoid For Gout Treatment
The formation of uric acid crystals in the joints occurs because of a substance called purine that is produced due to high purine foods. Here is the list of high purine foods to avoid
- All types of alcohols
- Meat products such as Chicken, ham, beef, pork, turkey and duck.
- All types of seafood such as oysters, sardines, anchovies, scallops, shrimp, mussels, crabs, haddock, herrings and shellfish.
Sai Sudha is a certified health blogger, who has an experience of above 2 years with an authorized certificate in the area of Introduction to food and health from Stanford University.
She has a special interest in life sciences, human psychology and fitness which drove her to make blogging turn passion to profession. Being an introvert, writer, empath and a nature lover, she loves Yoga and believes it to be one of the best pathways to self discovery! She loves travelling, exploring new places and wants to spread help through words. She finds happiness in little things which makes her live life to the fullest.