Apples are considered to be a “miracle food.” The various benefits of apple are mainly because they are rich in antioxidants, flavonoids, dietary fibers, phytonutrients, etc. The popular proverb associated with eating apples is “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
Apples constitute to be one of the most nurtured and consumed fruits amongst all. The apple fruit is found to be effective in reducing the risk of developing Cancer, Hypertension, Diabetes, Cardiac problems, etc.
Nutritional Value Of Apples:
Apples are a rich source of Antioxidants, which helps in fighting against all kinds of Cancerous cells. Apples are full of a Fiber, called as Pectin. Pectin is a soluble and viscous fiber, which is fermentable. The Pectin content of apples is responsible for the various apple health benefits.
Apple Nutrition Facts:
Apples are called as “nutritional powerhouses.” The various nutrients in apple can be enlisted as follows:
- Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant.
- Has the capability of blocking the damage causing free radicals.
- One of the most remarkable benefits of apple is to boost the resistance of the body to fight against various infectious agents.
- B-Complex Vitamins are composed of Riboflavin, Thiamin, Vitamin B-, etc.
- The Vitamins play a key role in maintaining the Red blood cells.
- One of the most striking benefits of apple is maintaining the health of the nervous system.
- A diet rich in Fiber will facilitate the process of digestion.
- The fiber in apple helps in preventing and treating Constipation.
- Apples are found to be very effective in preventing the amount of bad Cholesterol in the blood from rising.
- Apples a rich source of Polyphenolic compounds.
- The phytonutrients in apple help in protecting the body from the ill effects of the free radicals.
- Apples are a rich source of Calcium, Potassium, and Phosphorous.
- Minerals in the body will help in proper growth and development, building up of strong bones, giving strength to the skeletal structure of the body, transmitting nerve impulses, etc.
- Apple nutrition profile shows they are rich in Minerals, and hence very healthy for the body.
- The apple calories are about 53-55calories in one serving with skin, depending upon the size of the apple.
- There is hardly any fruit which doesn’t contain calories.
- The calorie to gram ratio is about 1:2.
Nutrients In Apples:
The following table will show you the apple nutrition facts in about 100gms of an apple with the skin:
|Lutein And Zeaxanthin||29 µg|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1)||0.017 mg|
|Vitamin A||3 µg|
|Pantothenic Acid||0.071 mg|
|Vitamin B||0.031 mg|
|Vitamin C||3.5 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.18 mg|
|Vitamin K||2.2 µg|
Risks And Precautions-Apple Fruit:
- There are no major side effects associated with the consumption of the apple fruit.
- Apples are acidic in nature and hence can cause damage to the enamel of the teeth.
- It has been found that the possible damage caused to the teeth through apples is four times more than that caused by carbonated drinks.
- The apple skin must be thoroughly washed before consumption, in order to avoid the ill effects through pesticides and insecticides sprayed on the apples during production.
Health Benefits Of Apples:
Improves The Neurological Health:
- Apples are found to be effective in improving the neurological health of individuals who consume it on a regular basis.
- Apples are composed of the antioxidant Quercetin.
- It helps in the reduction of the cellular death during the inflammation of the neurons.
- Studies have proved that the consumption of apple juice will increase the production of an essential neurotransmitter in the brain, as one of the best apple fruit benefits.
- The increased quantity of the neurotransmitter will result in better brain health, increased memory, a decrease in forgetfulness, etc.
- The effects of aging of the brain can be fought effectively by eating apples.
- You can avoid Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, etc. by the regular consumption of apples.
- People who munch on apples have a lesser risk of suffering from Parkinson’s disease.
- The antioxidants in apples have the capability to fight the free radicals.
- Thus, benefits of apple are to provide protection against Parkinson’s disease.
Teeth Whitening Properties:
- Apples are associated with whiter teeth!
- Biting and chewing an apple will stimulate the saliva production in the mouth.
- With an increase in the saliva in the mouth, tooth decay will be reduced considerably.
- Lesser bacteria in the teeth will make the teeth whiter and glowing, as a great apple benefits.
Curb Cancer Producing Cells:
- Apple nutrition profile shows that they are a rich source of Flavonol, which plays a major role in reducing the risk of pancreatic cancer.
- The apple peel is composed of Triterpenoids, which has anti-growth properties against the cancer cells that grow in the liver, colon, breast, etc.
- Apple helps in fighting against mammary tumors, colorectal cancer, etc.
Reduced Risk Of Diabetes:
- Apples are a rich source of soluble fibers.
- Being rich in fiber, apples blunt the blood sugar fluctuations in people munch on them regularly.
- Reducing the risk of diabetes is one of the most striking benefits of apple.
Help In The Reduction Of Cholesterol In Blood:
- A healthy heart life can be associated with lower levels of Cholesterol in the blood.
- Apple nutrition facts show the presence of soluble fibers in the apple, which will facilitate the binding of fats in the intestine, thereby lowering the levels of Cholesterol in the blood.
- The Phenolic compounds present in the skin of apple will inhibit the Cholesterol from getting into the blood stream, which would otherwise solidify the walls of the arteries.
- The major cause of Coronary Artery Diseases is the blockage of the arteries, leading to the reduced flow of blood on account of high Cholesterol levels.
Prevention Of Gallstones:
- The formation of gallstones is a very common problem observed in many individuals nowadays, especially in people who are obese.
- The main reason for the formation of gallstones is the presence of gallstones in the bile.
- Cholesterol with bile will become solid, leading to the formation of gallstones.
- The nutrients in apples have a natural Cholesterol-lowering effect, thereby facilitate in preventing the formation of gallstones.
Fight Against Constipation, Diarrhea, Abdominal Pain:
- Apples are a great source of fiber, which helps in pulling water from the colon.
- Fiber will facilitate in allowing the food to keep moving through the intestines, thereby preventing Constipation.
- Fiber also aids in absorbing the extra water from the stools, thereby being very helpful at the time of diarrhea.
- A diet rich in fiber will help in preventing bloating and the formation of gases as one of the best apple fruit benefits.
Prevents Formation Of Hemorrhoids:
- Hemorrhoids aren’t very dangerous but can cause a lot of pain in the pelvic area and the area surrounding the rectum.
- A swelling in the vein found in the anal canal is a Hemorrhoid.
- One of the major causes for the formation of Hemorrhoids is Constipation.
- Apples are an excellent source of fiber, and the fiber in apple helps in preventing Constipation and hence guard against the formation of painful Hemorrhoids.
- Most of the health issues such as Cardiac problems, Stroke, Elevated Blood Pressure Levels, Diabetes, Sleep Apnea, Anxiety, etc. are associated with being overweight or obese.
- Since apples are rich in the Fiber content, they will keep you satisfied and pacify hunger pangs, without depriving you of the vital nutrients.
- One of the most remarkable apple health benefits is the management of a healthy weight in people of all age groups.
Strengthen The Immune Responses:
- One of the key benefits of apple intake is the fortification of the immune system of the body.
- Apples are rich in antioxidants which help in boosting the immune responses of the body, by fighting against regular viral and bacterial infections.
Keep A Check On Cataracts:
- Apple is an excellent source of antioxidants, apple benefits in preventing the formation of Eye Cataracts.
Apple Benefits For Skin:
- Apples are composed of skin-friendly nutrients.
- Apples are a rich source of antioxidants, flavonoids, Vitamins, and Minerals.
- The apple benefits for skin are innumerable, owing to the presence of soluble fibers in it.
- Apples are a rich source of Iron, which helps in preventing Anemia and improving the circulation of blood in the body.
- Due to accelerated levels of blood circulation in the body by eating apples, the skin will become glowing.
- Apples are also very rich in Collagen and thereby aid in making your skin flawless and without any wrinkles, freckles, age-spots, etc.
- Apples act as a wonderful skin toner, by tightening the skin surface.
- Apart from eating raw apples for obtaining the various apple benefits for skin, people also apply it along with various other ingredients.
Apple For Hair:
- In addition to being very skin-friendly, the benefits of apple for hair are innumerable too!
- The wide range of nutrients in the apple will facilitate hair growth, prevent the hair from falling, avert scalp problems, stimulate a healthy hair life, etc.
- The presence of Biotin in apples will stimulate hair growth and make the individual strands of hair strong.
- The benefits of apple are mainly because it is a rich source of Fiber, Minerals, Vitamins, Antioxidants, etc.
- The direct application of apple pulp or apple juice on the scalp will alleviate scalp problems such as Dandruff, dry scalp, etc.
- Many people eat raw apples every day for healthy hair.
- Apple for hair helps in making the hair lustrous, long, and thick.
Apple Fruit-Plethora Of Recipes:
Many people prefer to eat raw apples, whether red or green. Apples find extensive usage in various recipes, ranging from cocktails to desserts. The apple calories are low and hence preferred by many people. The various recipes with apple can be enlisted as follows:
- Apple Tea
- Apple Butter
- Apple Milkshake
- Apple Smoothies
- Apple Tarts
- Apple Cinnamon Donuts
- Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Apple Pie
- Mixed Fruit and Vegetable Salads
- Apple cakes
- Baked Apples with Potatoes
The various benefits of apple make it a very popular fruit amongst all the other fruits. It finds extensive use in various desserts, sweets, and other cuisines.