Vitamins are needed in the body in minute quantities. Since the body can’t synthesize Vitamins, they are absorbed by the body through foods and other supplements. The different Vitamins essential for the proper growth and development of the body include Vitamin A, B6, B12, C, D, K, etc. Vitamin C is required in the body for healthy bone, muscle, and vessel development. Vitamin C rich foods must be consumed on a daily basis.
Vitamin C has various benefits and deficiency of the Vitamin can lead to various health issues in the long run. The children who include Vitamin C fruits and vegetables in the diet will have a stronger immune system than those children who don’t have them in the diet.
Lack of Vitamin C in the body can be identified through simple signs which must never be ignored. The initial signs can lead to major complications if left untreated for long durations of time.
Having a balanced diet which includes the Vitamin C rich foods will help in keeping the hair strong and making the skin glow. People who include lots of fruits and vegetables in their daily diet plan will have a healthy skin apart from a healthy body indeed!
Vitamin C Benefits:
The diverse range of Vitamin C rich foods will give you different benefits, as follows:
- Prevents common cold and flu.
- Helps in rebuilding the body tissues, blood vessels, and muscles.
- Strengthens the bone.
- Improves the mineral absorption.
- Boosts the ability of the body in synthesizing Calcium.
- Supports the brain functioning.
- Facilitates the process of healing injuries and wounds.
- Facilitates the recovery from different kinds of illnesses.
- Naturally, slows down the aging
- Extensively used in skin products as it prevents acne, wrinkles, and freckles, and improves the skin elasticity, etc.
- Improves the physical performance of an individual.
- Decrease the risk of Arthritis and Gout.
- Protects the body from Cancer.
- Reduces the risk of a possible Stroke, Heart attack, Pneumonia, Lung infections, etc.
- Helps in preventing the infections of the Upper respiratory tract.
- Improves the functioning of the lungs and the heart.
Fruits And Vegetables Rich In Vitamin C:
The different foods high in Vitamin C can be enlisted as follows:
- Both raw, as well as the cooked vegetable, is one of the best foods that contain Vitamin C.
- Broccoli acts as one of the best detox foods.
- 1 cup of cauliflower has about 46mg of Vitamin C.
- Apart from being rich in Vitamin C, it is high in Vitamin K, fiber, and Folate.
- Many people don’t prefer to eat cauliflower from the list of Vitamin C fruits and vegetables.
- 100 gm servings of tomatoes will have approximately 100mg of Vitamin C.
- Bright, fleshy red tomatoes will be very beneficial for the overall health of an individual.
- Tomatoes constitute to be one of the best Vitamin C foods.
- Herbs such as Cilantro, Thyme, Chives, Parsley, basil, etc. are excellent sources of Vitamin C.
- 1 cup of freshly cut Parsley will contain about 130mg of Vitamin C.
- 1 cup of Thyme will contain approximately 160mg of Vitamin c.
- Strawberries constitute to be one of the best Vitamin C rich foods.
- They are high in fiber, antioxidants, etc.
- Strawberries are found to be very beneficial in reducing the levels of the Bad Cholesterol in the blood.
- Cherries contain about 65 times more the amount of Vitamin C which can be obtained from a fresh Orange.
- Both the raw, as well as the powdered form of the cherry, act as the best Vitamin C foods.
- Citrus fruits constitute to be one of the best Vitamin C rich foods.
- The common citrus fruits include lemon, sweet lime, orange, grapefruit, etc.
- A medium orange contains about 70mg of Vitamin C.
- For people who suffer from Vitamin C deficiency, munching on citrus fruits is the best option!
- Papaya constitutes be one of the richest sources of Vitamin C.
- Many people don’t prefer to eat the raw fruit owing to the tangy flavor.
- You can meet the daily recommended dose of Vitamin C by making a papaya smoothie or adding some yogurt to the fruit!
- In addition to Vitamin C, papayas are loaded with Vitamin A.
- Black Currant is composed of about 180mg of Vitamin C.
- Apart from being one of the best Vitamin C rich foods, Black Currants are also rich in Iron, Potassium, and Vitamin B5.
- Kiwis constitute to be one of the best foods high in Vitamin C.
- The quantity of Vitamin C in kiwis is far more than that found in Oranges.
- Apart from Vitamin C, kiwi is rich in Potassium, Flavonoids, etc.
- Bell peppers constitute to be one of the best Vitamin C rich foods.
- The raw bell pepper will contain about 140mg of Vitamin C.
- Apart from Vitamin C, bell peppers are also rich in Beta-Carotene.
- Bell peppers and the Vitamin C benefits are for maintaining a healthy heart, preventing eye Cataracts, preventing the formation of blood clots in the bloodstreams, reducing the risk of stroke, etc.
- Guava contains about 250mg of Vitamin C.
- A single fruit will help in meeting double the daily recommended dose of the Vitamin!
- Apart from being the best foods that contain Vitamin C, it is rich in Potassium, Folic acid, Manganese, Fiber, etc.
- 1 cup of freshly cut cantaloupe will have approximately 67mg of Vitamin C.
- The Vitamin C benefits are innumerable and hence, you must add the healthy fruits and vegetables to your diet plan.
- In addition to Vitamin C, it is also composed of Vitamin A, Potassium, etc.
Green Leafy Vegetables:
- Green leafy vegetables such as Spinach, Kale, Turnip greens, Chard, etc. are the best Vitamin C rich foods.
- They will help in proving you with all the essential nutrients that the body needs to maintain the overall health.
Vitamin C Deficiency:
- The lack of Vitamin C in the body can be observed through various signs and symptoms.
- However, it is paramount to keep in mind that prolonged deficiency of the Vitamin can lead to detrimental effects on the health of the individual.
- One of the most common Vitamin C deficiency diseases includes Scurvy.
- Scurvy is the disease which occurs due to the breakdown of Collagen in the body.
- The individuals who suffer from Scurvy will be lethargic, lazy, fatigued, and tired all the time.
- The Vitamin C deficiency will affect the strength of the bones and the muscles.
- The immune system of the individuals will be extremely low, making them susceptible to various infections and diseases.
- However, the disease Scurvy is rarely observed nowadays, as people are getting more cautious about their health.
Vitamin C Deficiency Symptoms:
The Vitamin C deficiency symptoms and signs might seem insignificant initially, must never be ignored. The various symptoms can be enlisted as follows:
- Swollen gums.
- Bleeding gums.
- Quick bruising.
- Slows the process of wound healing.
- Inflammation of the gums.
- Dry and brittle hair.
- Splitting hair.
- Formation of red spots on the skin.
- Rough and scaly skin texture.
- Frequent nosebleeds.
- Weakened defense
- Leaky Gut.
- Auto-immune diseases.
- Decreased body metabolism.
- Sudden weight gain.
- Swollen joints.
- Joint pains.
- Elevated blood pressure levels.
- Stroke, brain hemorrhage, paralytic attack.
- Gallbladder diseases.
- Development of cancers.
Vitamin C Facts:
- The trivial Vitamin C deficiency symptoms and signs can lead to various health issues over the time, making the condition worse.
- Having a well-balanced diet with a healthy lifestyle are the two major aspects to be kept in mind to stay healthy and active.
- If you wonder what are the Vitamin C deficiency causes then you must keep in mind that you get the maximum nutrition from fruits and vegetables.
- The best tip to stay fit is to eat the foods raw and uncooked.
- Rather than boiling the vegetables, you can steam them and get the most from the vegetables indeed!
- The market is flooded with products which claim to be the Vitamin C supplement.
- However, the best source of any vital Vitamin and nutrient will be the raw and fresh fruit or vegetable rather than the artificial supplements!
- While choosing the Vitamin C supplement, you must ensure that the products are free from additives, fillers, and synthetic ingredients.
- The supplements must only be taken if they are prescribed by a Doctor.
- Even the naturally available Vitamin C rich foods will lose the content of the Vitamin when they are cooked, boiled, steamed, and kept in the microwave.
- It is best to have the raw fruits and vegetables to be able to obtain the best benefits of Vitamin C.
Recommended Daily Dose Of Vitamin C:
If you have always wondered what is Vitamin C good for, then the list of advantages is endless. The daily recommended dose of Vitamin C can be enlisted as follows:
0-6 months – 40 mg per day
7-12 months – 50 mg per day
1-3 year old – 15 mg per day
4-8 year old – 25 mg per day
9-13 year old – 45 mg per day
14-18 year old (Boys) – 75 mg per day
14-18 year old (Girls) – 65 mg per day
Men – 90 mg per day
Women – 75 mg per day
Pregnant women – 95 mg per day
Breastfeeding women – 125 mg per day
Overdose Of Vitamin C:
An overdose of Vitamin C is never a cause for concern as it can’t be stored in the body. Any excess levels of the Vitamin in the body will be excreted through urine. However, if there is an overload of the Vitamin in the body, it can lead to an upset stomach and Diarrhea. The formation of kidney stones is another side-effect. However, it is paramount to keep in mind that the side-effects will occur only due to the intake of artificial supplements. Natural Vitamin C rich foods will never lead to toxicity or overdose.