Top 16 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Eye Bags
Have you felt of late that people keep asking you whether you are sick? Well, then you might be healthy yet have bags under your eyes. Bags under the eyes aren’t a very alarming health ailment but will make you look dull, sick and older than your age. So get rid of eye bags using few home remedies and revamp your look today!
Eye bags or puffiness under the eyes will make the person look older irrespective of the gender. Both men and women, in fact even children can suffer from bags under the eyes. A proper skin care regime along with a healthy diet will help you look young without eye bags.
What Causes Bags Under The Eyes?
The weakening of the skin tissues around the eyes leads to sagging and fluid accumulation thereby giving a swollen appearance. By changing certain habits and taking a nutritious diet , you can get rid of the bags under the eyes. There are many possible reasons to the question what causes bags under the eyes.
- Seasonal allergies
- Sleeping face down for prolonged periods of time
- Straining the eyes
- Water retention
- Excessive smoking
- Drug and alcohol overdose
- Thyroid gland dysfunction
- Hormonal imbalance
- Sleep deprivation
- Intake of excessive salty food
What Are The Symptoms Of Bags Under The Eyes
Once you understand the symptoms that are responsible for puffiness of the eyes, it would become easy to get rid of bags under eyes.
- There are many symptoms of bags under eyes ranging from mild swelling, under eye puffiness, saggy, loose skin under the eyes and dark circles, etc.
- The tissues and muscles which support the eyelids become weak with age.
- The reason for sagging of the eyelids is because of the reduction in tissue collagen that gives elasticity to the skin.
- The fat around the eyes moves below the eyes and gets accumulated there giving the eyes a swollen and puffy appearance.
- Fluid accumulation under the eyes can give a puffy look to them.
Natural Remedies For Treating the Bags Under The Eyes
Now that it is clear to you what causes bags under the eyes, you can experiment with the wide range of beauty products as well as the natural remedies for eye bags.
Take Care Of The Allergies:
Allergies are very common with people having sensitive skin. You can try natural remedies for treating allergies and get rid of eye bags. Protect your eyes from irritation, redness, and swelling by trying natural remedies. Gentle massage under the eye with the natural oils will increase the blood circulation and give the eyes a youthful appearance.
- Use Essential oils
- Use Coconut oil
- Use Almond oil
Reduce The Salt Intake:
Salt and high blood pressure go hand in hand. Excess sodium in the body leads to fluid retention which causes puffiness and swelling. If you have always wondered how to get rid of eye bags fast, then you must keep a check on your salt intake.
- Avoid high salty foods like soups, pizza, burgers, etc.
- Opt for fresh vegetables especially celery in your diet.
- Use Himalayan Sea Salt in food.
Regular exercise is a natural way to reduce the signs of ageing. Just as the body remains youthful with a brisk walk and regular exercise, your face needs some work out too. So exercise well and get rid of eye bags.
- Slow exercise around the eyes using fingers.
- Gentle massages with essential oils using the fingertips.
- Certain facial expressions to tone and tighten the muscles of the face.
Correct Sleep Posture:
A proper posture sleeping is one of the best remedies for eye bags. Sleeping on the back will prevent the gravity from causing any fluid retention around the eyes. So avoid sleeping on the side though it might be difficult initially. Sleeping with a proper pillow under the head aligned at the accurate neck position will help you sleep well too!
Use A Neti Pot:
An age old remedy for reducing the puffiness below the eyes is using a “Neti pot.” It is nothing but a small teapot found in most shopping stores. It helps in flushing out the extra mucus inside the sinuses caused by cold and flu, infection and seasonal allergies. So use a Neti Pot as one of the most useful remedies for eye bags.
Remove Makeup At Bedtime:
The simple answer to the question how to get rid of bags under the eyes is to stay natural and free from the harsh cosmetics. Leaving eye makeup overnight can cause eye irritation, watery eyes and puffiness under the eyelids. It is, therefore important to remove the make-up with a cleanser before you hit the bed. Wash off the makeup with a gentle soap; you can use coconut oil, and you can also use a good cleansing lotion.
Limit Alcohol Intake:
Overindulgence in alcohol leads to dehydration. Excessive dehydration will make the eyes appear sunken, dark and dull. Proper hydration with water, coconut water , fruit and vegetable juices will make your skin glow. So get rid of bags under eyes by the reduction in the consumption of alcohol.
Limit Smoking Cigarettes:
Cigarette smoking is known for drying out the skin, leading to premature aging and skin darkening. The toxic chemicals emitted from cigarettes results in dark circles, puffiness under the eyes, wrinkled eyes, and drooping eyelids. Get rid of eye bags by limiting the number of cigarettes you smoke in a day.
Use A Cold Compress:
If you have always wondered how to get rid of eye bags, then try using a cold compress. A cold compress will help in reducing the swelling under the eyes. Relaxing the eyes with a cold compress, using natural ingredients, for about 15-20minutes will help in giving you a youthful appearance. It is important to rinse well after the application of the eye packs with water.
- Cucumber slices
- Cold milk
- Used tea bags
- Rosewater and lemon juice
- Chilled potato juice
- Use egg whites
Protect Your Eyes From Direct Sunlight:
Exposure to the direct and harsh rays of the sun causes wrinkling of the skin under the eyes. Excessive dehydration of the skin would lead to sagging. Follow some simple guidelines and get rid of eye bags.
- You can use mineral based sunscreens to protect the eyes.
- Good UV protection sunglasses will help in covering the sensitive skin around the eyes.
- Cover your face with a hat or a scarf from the strong UV rays of the sun.
Use A Good Concealer:
Camouflage the dark circles under the eyes to a great extent by using a concealer. The market is overflowing with many brands that give a natural appearance to the skin. There are many shades of concealer available to match with your skin tone and camouflage the eye bags.
All Natural Eye Cream:
Moisturizing the skin is very crucial to make it stay youthful and fresh. A dehydrated skin will give a flaky appearance. The regeneration of the skin to a considerable extent can be through Aloe Vera skin creams and other products available in the market. So get rid of the eye bags by keeping your skin hydrated and moisturized well.
Increase collagen Intake:
The protein collagen is found in the body muscles, bones, tendons and the skin. Collagen is responsible for giving elasticity to the skin and replacing the dead cells with new cells. Collagen content in the body decreases with age and hence maintaining the collagen levels in the body is the best way to stay looking young and get rid of eye bags.
- Chicken broth is a great source of collagen
- Citrus fruits
- Soy products
- Black and green olives
- Flaxseeds and walnuts
- Collagen Protein powder
- Collagen supplements
Hydrate Your Body:
A well-hydrated body will have a healthy look as well. A dehydrated body will give the skin a flaky look and make the eyes look sunken inside. Dark circles are the initial signs of a dehydrated body. The eyes need relaxation too for a healthy look on the face. Drink adequate water to flush out the excess salt from the system.
Alternative Treatments For Eye Bags:
Getting a hyaluronic filler will improve the swelling under the eyes. A filler is surgically injected under the eyes. It will make the contours of the eye sockets look younger by decreasing the puffiness. However, it is important to keep in mind that the procedure must be carried out by an experienced doctor. The process is expensive and has many side effects such as swelling, bruising, injection marks, etc.
Using A Derma roller:
Derma roller doesn’t hurt much, and the roller can be pressed as hard as the patient can endure the pain. It is a micro-needling procedure that thickens the skin under the eyes by stimulating the collagen production. The tiny micro-injuries on the skin will boost the production of collagen and give the eyes a youthful look!
The formation of bags under the eyes is mainly because of the deposition of either fat under the eyelids or fluid retention. The fat under the eyes can be removed by a surgical procedure these days. However, it is crucial to understand that the procedure is expensive and it takes weeks for recovery.
The market is loaded with cosmetic procedures which aren’t only expensive but also have many side effects. It is best to stick to natural remedies for eye bags treatment. You can go with the number of cosmetics and skin creams available in the market for eye bags if you find it time-consuming to go with the natural remedies.
General Tips For Healthy Eyes
The skin around the eyes is very delicate and tender. It is very important to take special care of the eyes and the kind of products used around it.
- Providing the eyes with proper blood circulation through eye massages will make them look fresh.
- Drink adequate water and avoiding excessive caffeine intake.
- Soothe the tired eyes with a cold compress using natural ingredients.
- Treat the allergies in their initial stage lest they might become chronic and cause excessive puffiness under the eyes.
- If you suffer from Sinusitis, then avoid too many cold drinks that could worsen the sinus problem.
- Check with your physician and get flu shots as and when needed to guard yourself against cold.
- Be gentle with your face. Never rub or scrub the skin near the eyes harshly with anything.
- Use gentle face washes.
- Always use a soft towel or napkin to pat dry the face.
- Avoid using too many cosmetic beauty products on the face.
- Whenever you do eye make, make sure you wash off well before hitting the bed at night.
- You can use coconut oil to remove the makeup from your eyes naturally.
- Alter the diet by adding more fruits and green leafy vegetables.