Malaria is a very common disease caused by the bite of an infected mosquito. It is associated with severe chills, shivering, headache and high-grade fever. Malaria is the most common disease in continents of Africa, Southern Asia, Central and South America. Children, older people, and people with low immunity levels will be at a greater risk. Early diagnosis and efficient use of the home remedies for malaria will help in getting relief from the disease.
What Is malaria?
Malaria is an infectious and life-threatening disease. What causes malaria is the parasite Plasmodium. The parasite leads to colonization of the RBCs in the body. The female anopheles mosquito carries Plasmodium. The parasite reaches the human blood stream through the bite of an infected mosquito. The moment the parasite enters the bloodstream, it starts multiplying in the liver and infects the entire bloodstream. The blood cells in the human body start destroying rapidly leading to many fatal complications during malaria.
When Can You Feel The Symptoms Of Malaria?
Malaria lasts for about 8-20 days and a maximum of 2months after the bite from an infected mosquito. During the incubation period, the human body suffers from high fever characterized by chills and also febrile seizures.
The worst part of the disease is the swing between the recovery and worsening of the conditions. Just when you feel the symptoms of malaria have decreased, 2-3 days later you might feel the symptoms worsening with high fever and severe chills. You can try home remedies for malaria to help in getting relief from the symptoms of the disease.
Transmission Of Malaria:
The malarial parasite multiplies rapidly inside the cells of the human blood. The symptoms will start appearing after about 10days to a month after the infection.
- Malaria can be transferred from one person to the other through a bite by an infected mosquito.
- Malaria can be transmitted from the mother to the developing fetus.
- Malaria can’t be transmitted from one person to the other.
- Very rare transmission of malaria from one person to the other can be through contact with the infected blood.
- The mosquitoes which cause malaria in human beings are active from dusk to dawn.
- The annual malaria incidence has fallen in recent times by making people aware about hygiene and cleanliness.
Symptoms Of Malaria:
There are many symptoms of malaria, such as:
- Shaking chills
- Deep breathing
- High fever
- Impaired consciousness
- Blood in stools
- Excessive sweating
- Vital organ dysfunction
There aren’t different causes of malaria, but the bite from an infected mosquito.
- The malarial parasite will be at its highest peak during the rainy season. The parasite seems to disappear over the winters.
- Many people die every year because of malaria. Though medication for treating malaria is available, mosquitoes carrying malaria in few parts of the world have become resistant to the antibiotics.
- The main reason for the failure in controlling the disease is mainly antibiotic and insecticide resistance!
NOTE: It is important to keep in mind that the outbreak of the disease is at its highest peak during the rainy season because of stagnant water and breeding of mosquitoes.
Allopathic Treatment Of Malaria:
Malaria is a life-threatening condition. Treatment of malaria is provided only in a hospital by a physician. Home remedies for malaria are effective in alleviating the symptoms, but simultaneous allopathic treatment is very important too!
Treatment of malaria is a specialized service and requires the supervision of a physician. Most of the drugs have dangerous side effects such as:
- Loss of appetite
- Loss of immunity
- Intestinal problems
- Liver problems
- Quinine or Artemisinin-based prescriptions work well for treating malaria as prescribed by most Physicians.
- Malaria is a serious condition and consulting a doctor is of prime importance. Home remedies for malaria are active in providing relief but can’t be considered to be a substitute.
- Natural cures for malaria can only alleviate the symptoms, but is no substitute for medical advice by a professional.
- Improper and delayed treatment of malaria can lead to various complications such as Anemia, Dysentery, Kidney failure, Enchaphalitis, Coma, etc.
Top 13 Home Remedies For Malaria:
There are many home remedies for malaria which help in alleviating the symptoms to a considerable extent, as follows:
You can apply a cold pack to keep the body temperature down. It is an excellent way to decrease the body temperature when it is higher than 101.
What You Need To Do?
Take a long sheet of cotton or muslin cloth and dip it in water. Make sure that you dry the sheet with your hands, such that water doesn’t keep dripping from it. Wrap the cloth around the entire body. Allow it to stay for at least 10minutes. You can repeat the process thrice daily as home remedies for malaria to get rid of high temperatures.
NOTE: The forehead, underarms, and palms are the parts of the body which help in getting rid of high temperature by using a cold pack.
When a person is suffering from malaria, it is paramount to make sure that the surroundings are clean and tidy. Water shouldn’t be allowed to stagnate. Stagnant water is an ideal breeding ground for mosquitoes. A mosquito mesh or net must be used to prevent getting bit by mosquitoes.
Proper functioning of the body will be facilitated by drinking warm water. Frequent intake of warm water throughout the day will help in cleansing the bowels. One of the best home remedies for malaria is to keep the body well hydrated.
The juice of basil leaves is effective in bringing down the fever and alleviating the malaria symptoms.
- The outstanding property of basil leaves to reduce the body temperature is because of the vital Flavonoids namely Vicenin and Orientin.
- Both the Flavonoids protect the blood cells from damage.
- Basil leaves contain oils having vital antibacterial properties such as Cineol, Estragole, and Linalool.
- Few basil leaves
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon of powdered cardamom
- ½ liter of water
Things To Do…
Take half a liter of water in a vessel and bring it to a boil. A decoction should be made by boiling the basil leaves with black pepper powder or cardamom powder. Any sweetener such as sugar or honey can be added to make the decoction consumable as the best home remedies for malaria.
Cinnamon contains Cinnamaldehyde which has anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties. Cinnamon provides relief from symptoms of malaria such as loss of appetite, nausea, indigestion, cramps, spasms, etc.
- 1 teaspoon of powdered cinnamon
- 1 pinch of black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon of honey
Things To Do…
Boil water and add all the ingredients to it. Drink the decoction while it is warm and get relief from the symptoms of malaria.
Grapefruit extract contains natural quinine, which is used to cure malaria. You can boil a quarter of the grapefruit pulp for about 5minutes and strain the pulp. The extract can be taken up twice in a day along with the medications.
Using roasted and powdered alum is very helpful in alleviating the symptoms of malaria. 1 teaspoon of alum must be taken about 5hours before an expected attack and every two hours after the attack. Alum is one of the best remedies for malaria.
Fever nut seeds are very effective in curing the symptoms of malaria. 7gms of the seeds can be taken with a glass of water about 2hours before the onset of fever. The seeds can also be consumed every 1hour after the attack.
Chirayata is a natural analgesic which aids in the reduction of fever.
- 15gms of chirayata
- 250ml of hot water
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon piece
Things To Do…
Bring water to a boil. Add all the ingredients to the boiling water. The infusion prepared from all the ingredients can be given in doses of 15ml to 30ml to alleviate the malaria symptoms.
Datura leaves are very useful in the treatment of malaria. Datura leaves along with jaggery must be taken as a pill at least 2 hours before the onset of fever. Using Datura leaves is one of the best natural remedies for malaria treatment.
Lime And Lemon:
Lime and lemon must be used for the treatment of malaria.
- 3gms of lime
- 60ml of water
- Juice of 1lemon
Things To Do…
Dissolve lime pulp in water and mix the lemon juice. Use the mixture before the onset of fever.
Fenugreek seeds have natural antibiotic properties. The seeds help in building the body’s immunity.
- Few fenugreek seeds
- 1 glass of water
Things To Do…
Dry the fenugreek seeds and powder them. Mix the powder in water and drink it for a week to get rid of the symptoms of malaria.
Ginger has natural antibiotic properties. Using ginger is one of the best remedies for malaria.
- A cube of ginger
- Few raisins
- 1 glass of water
Things To Do…
Add ginger and raisins to a glass of water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Consume the decoction after it cools to room temperature.
Precautions During Malaria:
- The diet of the patient is very crucial during malaria.
- When the fever is severe during the initial stage of malaria, the patient must go on an orange juice fast.
- After the fever has subsided from severe to low grade, the patient must be given only fresh fruits and raw vegetables.
- Patients suffering from malaria must avoid the intake of processed foods, refined oils, canned foods, oily and spicy food, etc.
- The allopathic treatment of malaria as prescribed by a doctor along with home remedies will help in getting adequate relief.
Complications During Malaria:
Although malaria is a treatable disease these days, it can lead to many complications if untreated for long, such as:
- Brain infection
- Haemolytic Anemia
- Renal failure
- Liver failure
- Pulmonary edema
- Spleenic rupture
- Internal bleeding
- Low blood sugar levels
People who have suffered from malaria have a chance of recurrent symptoms of malaria. At present, there is no vaccine available for protection against malaria. Many scientists and researchers are working on developing a vaccine.
Sleeping under a mosquito net, using mosquito repellents, covering maximum parts of the body, application of body lotions that keep away insects and mosquitoes, etc. must be remembered when you are traveling to areas which are prone to have stagnant water.