20 Best Benefits Of Mosambi (Sweet Lime) For Skin, Hair And Health
Sweet lime is called as Mosambi in Hindi. It is the citrus fruit commonly found almost throughout the year. Although mosambi is similar in appearance to lemon, it tastes sweeter. There are many benefits of mosambi and hence widely consumed by people of all ages.
You will realise that sweet lime is one of the best citrus fruits once you explore the different ways in which sweet lime can be used for optimising your health.
Why Is Mosambi Called Sweet Lime?
The mosambi plants grow abundantly in South-East Asia. Mosambi fruits are small in size, green or yellow colored fruits. The shape of the mosambi ranges from round to oval. The taste of mosmabi is similar to that of an orange. The refreshing mosambi juice is both delicious and healthy.
Mosambi is commonly called as sweet lime because it has a sweet taste and resembles lime in its appearance. The color of the mosambi can range from shades of yellow to green, with light green as the most common shade.
Since the temperatures are very hot in the south-east regions, it is recommended to consume a fresh glass of mosambi juice at regular intervals to protect from dizziness and weakness.
What Is The Nutritional Value Of Mosambi?
Sweet lime has great nutritional value and hence beneficial for the health of an individual. Eating a mosambi will help in meeting the Vitamin C requirement for the body of an individual. Sweet lime is an extremely versatile fruit with both a sweet and sour taste. The fruit can be consumed in many forms such as jams, drinks, snacks, candies, pickles, drinks, etc.
- Mosambi is the right choice for people who are looking forward to a low-calorie diet.
- Sweet lime contains about 43 calories and 0.3gms of fat.
- Sweet lime is a citrus fruit and hence a very rich source of Vitamin C.
- It is found to be rich in Potassium almost 490mg in a serving.
- Smaller amounts of copper, calcium, phosphorus, and iron are found in mosambi.
Sweet lime is considered to be a great fruit for consumption during summers. However, you can benefit from this versatile fruit at any point in time! Many people prefer to drink the mosambi juice, while many others enjoy the fleshy pulp of the fruit. It isn’t very uncommon to find people munching upon the fruit pulp with some salt sprinkled on it. Whichever way people consume the fruit, all the forms are equally beneficial as mosambi(1) uses are many!
General Health Benefits Of Mosambi
Helps In Digestion
Mosambi contains high amounts of flavonoids, which stimulate digestion. The secretion of the digestive juices, acids and bile are stimulated by regular consumption of mosambi. There are many mosambi uses for the digestive system.
- Helps people suffering from indigestion.
- Helps people with irregular bowel movement
- Helps people with gastrointestinal problems.
- Neutralizes the acidic digestive juices produced inside the stomach.
- Flushes out the toxins from the excretory system.
- Helps in controlling diarrhea and vomiting.
- Decreases nausea.
The toxins of the stomach will be flushed out from the bowel tracts by consuming sweet lime regularly. The rich fibre content of sweet lime acts as a purgative treatment for people who are suffering from constipation. We can, therefore, conclude that mosambi health benefits are many for the overall health of an individual.
One of the best benefits of mosambi is to treat the disease Scurvy. The deficiency of Vitamin C leads to a disease called Scurvy. There are many symptoms of Scurvy which can be controlled by sweet lime juice, a few drops of water and a pinch of black salt.
- Scurvy causes bleeding of gums.
- Scurvy leads to swollen gums.
- It causes frequent bouts of flu, cold, and cough.
- Ulceration in the mouth and tongue.
- Cracked lip corners
Prevents Bad Breath
Sipping lime juice is an effective way of eliminating bad breath or Halitosis. Alternatively, many people suck the lime rinds to decrease the bad breath and smell fresh. The prevention of bad breath is one of the greatest mosambi benefits.
Healing Peptic Ulcers
Sweet lime is rich in flavonoids which are effective in healing peptic ulcers and oral ulcers.
- Sweet lime has anti-carcinogenic properties.
- Sweet lime is rich in antioxidants.
- Sweet lime is a great detoxifying agent.
- Sweet lime has great antibiotic properties.
One sweet lime per day or on alternate days is all you need to soothe your ulcers.
Sweet lime extracts have anti-congestive properties which help in keeping the respiratory tract clean and healthy. Sweet lime is popular for keeping respiratory problems at bay.
- Sweet lime is extensively used in balms for fighting against cold.
- Sweet lime finds usage in inhalers and vaporizers.
Improving The Immune System
Regular consumption of mosambi juice improves the overall health of an individual.
- Being a rich source of Vitamin C, sweet lime boosts the immunity levels of an individual.
- In general, people who consume mosambi regularly, tend to have less cold, flu and cough symptoms.
- Sweet lime improves the overall heart functioning(2).
- Sweet lime ensures proper circulation of blood.
Sweet lime is a rich source of limonoids, which helps in fighting the different types of cancer causing cells. The best mosambi health benefits are helping in fighting the cancerous cells.
Protects Against Rheumatoid Arthritis
Sweet lime is composed of Vitamin C which helps in reducing inflammation and swelling. It is considered a great idea to consume sweet lime regularly for reducing the symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Osteoarthritis.
Helps In Weight Loss
Regular drinking of a glass of warm water with lime juice and honey helps in reducing weight. Mosambi juice reduces the cholesterol levels and keeps the blood pressure in control.
In fact, the best time to drink mosambi juice or consume a mosambi fruit is before your lunch. This keeps your stomach full and reduces your appetite. You will acquire the required amounts of nutrients and at the same time consume your foods in fewer quantities which is the best way of losing weight.
Reduction In Urinary Disorders
Mosambi fruit benefits are innumerable; it is a good detoxifying agent. It is a great source of Potassium and helps in removing the toxins from the kidneys and the urinary bladder. Most urinary tract infections will remain at bay by consuming mosambi juice.
It is the best to prevent the occurrence of urinary disorders, instead of searching for the cures and remedies after the disease has attacked you.
People popularly like the sweet and sour flavor of mosambi. One of the greatest health benefits of mosambi is for pregnant women by reducing the morning sickness.
- Decreases nausea
- Helps in getting rid of heartburn and acidity
- Soothes the gastrointestinal tract
- Reduces abdominal problems
Treating Sunstroke And Dehydration
Mosambi juice is a healthy substitute for carbonated beverages.
- Sweet lime provides the essential vitamins and minerals needed by the body.
- It reduces dehydration.
- It is effective in reducing muscle cramps.
- Helps in treating people suffering from Sunstroke.
Beneficial For To Be Mothers
Sweet lime(3) is a great source of vitamins, calcium, and minerals. As it provides all the essential nutrients for the healthy growth of the fetus inside the womb, sweet lime makes a great fruit for pregnant women. Consuming sweet lime during pregnancy will enhance the blood circulation thereby contributing to the goodness and wellbeing of both the mother and the baby.
Beneficial For The Nervous System
Mosambi is used for treating people suffering from Brain Fever and other mental issues.
Most people recommend the regular intake of mosambi to patients suffering from diseases such as Jaundice. The outstanding capability of mosambi to treat Jaundice is by boosting the liver functioning of the patient.
Treats Eye Disorders
The antioxidants in the sweet lime make it very beneficial for the eyes. The antibacterial properties of sweet lime help in guarding the eyes against eye infections such as Conjunctivitis, Muscular Degeneration, etc.
Prevention Of Cold, Flu, And Tonsillitis
Regular consumption of mosambi provides relief from the pain caused by Tonsillitis. Being a rich source of Vitamin C , mosambi boosts the immune system of the body. When the defence system of the body is strong, viral infections like cold, cough and flu will be at bay!
Mosambi And Hair Benefits!
Mosambi has many benefits for the overall health of an individual. Mosambi for hair is extensively being used in many hair care products these days. The market is overflowing with hair care products with extracts of sweet lime due to its remarkable properties.
- Beauty therapies are turning to use lime extracts for hair and skin care products due to the remarkable antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Mosambi is an active ingredient in medicinal supplements for hair. The fruit has outstanding properties to make the hair strands strong and healthy.
- Mosambi is found to be a natural remedy for unwanted split ends and dandruff .
The many benefits of mosambi for hair are extensively being researched and used by most beauticians and hair stylists. It turns out to be a reasonably cheap and healthy alternative to the chemical products for hair.
Mosambi and Yoghurt Hair Pack
If you are looking for ways to get rid of dandruff, you can prepare a mosambi yoghurt hair pack and apply it to your hair once in a week. You will be able to see amazing results within a month. You just have to extract the juice out of mosambi and mix with a few spoons of yoghurt to make it a smooth paste.
Apply this mixture to your hair and leave it for half an hour. Rinse your hair with lukewarm water and apply a suitable conditioner before you give your hair a final hair wash.
Mosambi And Skin Benefits!
In addition to the numerous health and hair benefits, mosambi finds extensive use in skin care products. The many benefits of sweet lime make mosambi for skin a significant basis for research and exploration.
- If your skin type is particularly dry and flaky, you can consider using mosambi to your skin. You just have to cut mosambi into two slices and rub these against your skin in a circular motion for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- You can use mosambi for obtaining a perfect glow to your skin
- If you have been looking for ways of reducing pigmentation, acne, spots and blemishes, you can use mosambi to bring radiance and glow to your skin.
- Mosambi finds great benefit in reducing the pains caused due to insect bites.
- Mosambi also helps in lightening the pigmentation on the elbow, knees, ankles, and armpits.
- Regular application of mosambi juice on the lips reduces the cracking or drying of the lips by making them soft and supple.
- Mosambi juice enhances the fairness of the skin by restoring the Pigment Melanin in the body, which is responsible for the hair and skin color of an individual.
On account of the many health benefits, mosambi is regularly consumed by people and also finds usage in many hair and skin care products. Mosambi juice helps in the blood circulation thereby making the body more active and fresh.
Regular consumption of mosambi is found to be useful in treating infertility problems in men. The appetite of a person will increase by regular intake of sweet lime as the digestive system becomes active and strong. Men with a low sperm count have found great benefit by consuming sweet lime regularly.
How Much Is Mosambi Good For You?
Sweet lime can be consumed in the form of mosambi juice as well as the fruit pulp directly. Many people use mosambi in fruit and vegetable salads, desserts, baked dishes, candies, chutneys, jams, pickles, etc.
It is important to keep in mind that anything must be consumed at a proper level. Consuming anything in excess amounts can have disastrous effects on the health of an individual. You can decide upon the quantity of mosambi that is within good limits on your own and stay away from any side effects. It is safest to stick with one mosambi a day in general and utilize the mosambi fruit benefits.