Best 21 Foods For Healthy Hair And Scalp – Hair Fall Treatment
Noticing the hair strands on your pillow or in the shower drain is surely a painful experience. Don’t worry; All Is Well! Hair fall is a common and popular problem these days, but the solutions to this problem are not very popular. So people opted a synthetic path to cure hair problems with cosmetics not knowing that they cannot completely cure with them. Whatever you eat reflects on your hair and skin. The healthier your food is, the healthier your hair becomes. There is an absolute need of healthy food for healthy hair and scalp, which makes others, want to feel your hair.
Major Reasons for Weak Hair:
- Hormonal Imbalances
- Physical Stress
- Mental stress
- Poor circulation of blood in scalp
- Medical treatment side effects
- Inadequate diet
- Low nutrient food
Essentiality of Healthy Food:
The quality of the hair is the index of your health condition. It’s the output given by your body about the condition inside your body. Your body requires vitamins, minerals, and proteins to keep the hair in good condition. As your body cannot produce these things on itself, food which is rich in vitamins, minerals, and proteins must be taken.
Whenever the body is short of some vitamins or minerals, the body first cuts off the supply of vitamins and minerals to the hair. So hair is the one which is getting affected in the first place due to any kind of imbalances in the body. Eating healthy food is the vital, natural way to maintain strong hair. Proper attention is required while choosing food for healthy hair and scalp
Youngsters these days do not have all jolly time like in olden days, even they are undergoing through a hell lot of stresses these days. Due to this hair problems are getting started at young age irrespective of the gender. The hormonal imbalances and pollution made it worse for them. Food is the remedy they have to opt for healthy hair. Not just hair but also it’s essential to take healthy nutrient-rich food for a healthy scalp.
Necessary Nutrients in Food for Healthy Hair and Scalp:
Nutrients and Essential fatty acids are necessary to maintain strong and attractive hair. Each nutrient helps in keeping hair healthy in one way or the other. The food you take must contain all nutrients for all the underlying functions and processes behind developing strong hair. Following are the important nutrients which should be present in your diet for healthy hair.
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
- Essential Fatty acids
22 Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair and Scalp
The quality of the hair is solely dependent on the nutrient supply to the hair and circulation of blood in the scalp. How possibly can external cosmetics provide these nutrients to the hair? Synthetic cosmetics cannot improve the condition of the hair whatsoever or may be little. It’s only possible by taking nutrient-rich food for healthy hair development. Many problems of hair such as hair loss, dull hair, thin hair, split ends, dandruff are treated by different foods. Some are good food for healthy scalp, some for thickening of hair and so on. Identify the food you require based on your problem. Here is the list of foods that are good for hair and scalp.
‘FISH’ is the first answer that strikes for the question ‘what to eat for healthy hair.‘ Fish is one fo the rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids and protein. Hair is made of protein that originates in the hair follicle; later it fills up with a protein called keratin. About 4% of the hair shaft contains omega-3 fatty acids. They are present in natural oils on your scalp which keeps scalp and hair hydrated.
This is one tasty dish that is full of protein and is called a complete protein in biological language. Fish is at the bottom of the food chain, so they don’t live long enough for toxins to accumulate in them, which is a good thing. Fish is on the top in the list of food for healthy hair and scalp.
Hair is mostly made up of keratin and protein, so a food rich in protein is a direct flight to strong hair. They also contain vitamin-B12 which strengthens the follicles of the hair and prevents the hair loss. Eggs are also loaded with Iron, zinc, and sulfur. Iron deficiency is also one of the major reasons for hair loss. Eggs supply iron and prevent hair loss. Add one boiled egg to your diet daily for healthy hair growth and follicle strength.
The mighty advantages of eating spinach are already hugely promoted by popular cartoon ‘Popeye, the sailor,’ now it’s time to know how it’s helpful for hair. The key players in spinach are iron and folate. Iron is useful in carrying oxygen to the hair and scalp; Folate helps in the formation of red blood cells. It is not just food for healthy hair and scalp but also for other organs in the body.
It has vitamins A and C which enhances the production of sebum in the scalp. Eating spinach on a regular basis shows beautiful results to you visually by making hair thick and attractive.
A handful of nuts a day surely supplies your hair with many vitamins, minerals, protein and healthy fats. You will go nuts for its ability to strengthen the hair from its roots by providing necessary nutrients. Cashews, walnuts, almonds, peanuts are different types of nuts easily available in stores. They can be eaten directly or soaked overnight in water and have it. Otherwise, they can also be added to salads, desserts which serve for both taste and health. It’s the simplest diet for healthy hair and scalp which do not require any kind of preparation.
5. Sweet Potatoes
Sweet potatoes are loaded with a nutrient called beta-carotene. Beta-carotene is converted into vitamin A after consuming. Vitamin A is one of the important vitamins for hair growth. Beta-carotene keeps your scalp healthy and dandruff free. It protects the skin on your scalp from the sun and acts as a natural moisturizer for the scalp. It also protects cells from damaging which in turn increases hair growth.
6. Citrus Foods
Citrus foods are rich in vitamin C that prevents hair from breaking. It also provides hair with inositol which reduces thinning of hair and thus maintains the overall volume of the hair.
Oranges, tangerine, grapes, and limes are easily available in the market and are tremendous food for healthy hair and scalp You can also have them in the form of juice, which is fun and delicious.
Cucumbers are good food for healthy hair and shining appearance. Cucumbers contain phosphorous, silicon, calcium, and sodium which are important nutrients for hair growth. A lot of hair products use cucumber for hair strengthening properties. They are high in silica, vitamin C, and fiber that promote hair growth and strengthen the hair strand in the follicle.
Lack of zinc in the body is a major reason hair fall and thinning of hair. To dodge from this problem you can go for oysters which are a huge source of zinc. Oysters also contain selenium, an antioxidant that protects the body from the harmful environment. Selenium and zinc together produce a healthy immune system that protects the body from hair loss.
Oats is food for healthy hair and scalp that helps in maintaining natural color of the hair and does not allow it to appear dull. It contains great amounts of fiber and protein, both of which boosts the hair growth. Oats are also rich in phosphorous, potassium, magnesium and iron which play a part in keeping the hair thick
Start taking oats immediately if your hair is losing natural color day by day. Oats prevents your hair from losing shine and keeps them attractive.
Cinnamon enhances the circulation of the blood in the body, which ensures scalp and hair roots to get the required nutrients and oxygen. According to the study, daily intake of 1-5 grams of cinnamon results in beautiful and strong hair. It becomes a good diet for healthy hair by nourishing the scalp region and act like exfoliate. It also reduces hair loss by strengthening the follicles that grip the hair.
Add little amount of cinnamon in everyday foods you eat for better results. Don’t eat too much, too much of anything is too bad, and so is cinnamon.
I am not sure if it’s a fruit or a vegetable, but I am sure it is packed with full of vitamins and minerals that are essential for healthy hair. Vitamins A, C, K, iron, potassium and other minerals found in tomatoes prevents scalp odor and also reduces the itching sensation on the scalp. They are natural conditioner for the hair. It also protects the shine of the hair and makes dandruff free. It’s a nutrient-rich food for healthy hair and scalp with vitamins B1, B2, B3 and antioxidants present in it.
Tomatoes can be used as an ingredient in many curries, baked foods, and some dishes; it can be eaten in any way you like. Tomato juice is also a famous dessert which is tasty and also one of the good foods to eat for healthy hair.
- Vitamin C present in sprouts are known to destroy free radicals in the body that are responsible for weak and thin hair
- Oxidation of tissues causes premature graying of hair. Anti-oxidants in the sprouts stops corrosion of tissues and reduce the possibility of graying of hair.
- Vitamin A and K present in sprouts stimulate hair follicles and enhance the growth of hair
- Sprouts have iron in them which increase blood supply to scalp and follicles of the hair.
- Sprouts contain zinc which boosts the production of sebum and keeps the scalp hydrated.
- It’s a potential food for healthy hair and scalp which prevents biotin deficiency and reduces hormonal imbalances in the body, the major causes of hair fall. It increases the length of the hair by increasing biotin levels in the body.
13. Coriander leaves
Coriander clean toxin metals which object the transportation of nutrients to hair and scalp. It also reduces the chance of thinning of the hair by cleaning toxins from the body.
Blueberries are rich in anti-oxidants that fight against the free radicals in the body. Free radicals are the culprits for the hair fall and short hair. With the decrease of free radicals in the body circulation of blood increases and supply of nutrients also goes high. Blueberries are one of the great foods to eat for healthy hair for its ability to produce healthy and strong follicles.
Lentils are a rich source of protein and iron, which are essential in developing healthy hair. Protein in lentils enhances the cell growth of hair and reduces thinning of hair, which is a popular problem these days. Iron in lentils raises the supply of oxygen to the hair which is essential for hair growth, and also for good environment in the scalp. The presence of fiber, folic acid, vitamin B readily helps in growth of the hair, and thus this is an excellent vegetarian food for healthy hair and scalp.
- High quantity of natural silicon present in bell peppers is a natural hair growth stimulator. Bell peppers protect hair follicles from the hormonal effects of Dihydrotestosterone (DHT).
- Vitamin C in bell peppers is important for circulation of blood, hair color, and shininess.
- Bell peppers are one of the outstanding organic foods to eat for healthy hair, which prevents hair from drying and reduces the possibility of breakage.
- Carrots are nutrient rich food for healthy hair and scalp which are abundant in many essential nutrients required for shining and thick hair. Carrots provide good amounts of vitamin A and vitamin C which increases blood circulation in the scalp and prevents premature graying of hair.
- Vitamin A stands first in the list of essential vitamins for hair growth. So make sure you take enough of it everyday.
- Carrots also contain minerals and anti-oxidants which make hair grow stronger and attractive in appearance.
- If you are wondering what to eat for healthy hair which is raw, simple and famous, the suggestion would be carrots. They can be eaten raw, as juice and in dishes. If you don’t find time to make juices and all that, you can go for raw
- Yogurt is a fermented dairy product. It’s rich in calcium, magnesium, vitamin B2 and B-12, and potassium.
- Yogurt is an efficient home remedy to treat damaged and dull hair. Apply a paste of a mixture of half cup yogurt, two eggs and two spoons of almond oil on the scalp. This makes your hair look lustrous, shiny and reduces dullness of hair.
- Anti-fungal properties in yogurt fight against dandruff, and reduces dandruff problem from its core.
- Milk is an abundant source of protein, in fact, it is called biologically complete protein food. The importance of protein for hair is enormous that, much of development process of hair requires protein.
- So one glass of milk a day is a recommended diet for healthy hair and scalp.
- Milk is also a tremendous source of calcium and iron which helps not only in the promotion of hair growth but also for bones and other body parts.
- Milk adds weight to the hair and makes it stronger. It is also used as a hair
- Milk is a simple food for healthy hair and scalp which doesn’t require much time and attention to have it. All you have to do is boiling and have it.
19. Chia seeds
- Chia seeds are a storehouse for nutrients such as omega-3 fatty acids, protein, fiber, magnesium, calcium and phosphorous.
- Omega-3 fatty acids cannot be produced in our bodies, and so it must be taken through food. These are necessary for the body to maintain healthy hair.
- Chia seeds contain 20% of protein which is the major component of hair. So having chia seeds provides a lot of protein and helps in the production of hair.
- Copper and zinc are also essential nutrients required for hair and scalp present in chia seeds, which makes it a great food for a healthy
20. Green Tea
- Green Tea is a healthy substitute for many beverages such as coffee, tea,
- It has antioxidants which remove free radicals and promotes the growth of hair by increasing the circulation of nutrients through blood.
- Vitamin B present in green tea prevents split ends and makes hair soft.
- It blocks Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) which is a major reason for hair loss and baldness.
- Green tea is a healthy beverage food for healthy hair and scalp which not only helps for hair but also for weight loss and other benefits.
21. Green leafy vegetables
Green leafy vegetables are rich in vitamin A and C that helps in promotion of strong hair. Iron and Selenium together produce sebum which is natural conditioner for hair. They are also rich in folate, beta-carotene and vitamin C, the essential nutrients for hair growth and thickening of hair.
I hope we cleared your dilemma of “what to eat for healthy hair.”